Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #1 
AlexXx

Quick help

Alright i got a double tail yesterday, and hes been doing fine flairing at my female through their vases all day and i just him a 5 min salt bath and then cleaned his vase and put him back in, conditioned and everything and now hes hardly moving, and laying at the bottom of the vase!! what do i do1!?!?! Hes just laying on his side on the bottom i even took some water out so it would be easier for him to get to the top! his gills are moving but hes not! omg i dont want to loose him hes so precious, the more beautiful one ive seen in stores here! maybe hes resting? hes got HUGE fins and it had ot be stressfull moving from vase to salt bath to vase again.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #2 
AlexXx

He just went to the top for some air, and then drifty slowly back down. kinda looks like hes convulsing or somthing strange, now hes on his side again ahhh im freakin out!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #3 
AlexXx

hes doing a lil better now hes sitting at the top now. breathing and not moving much.... maybe he was just tired :/ hope so. How many salt baths should i give him before i start seeing some results, his fins are rotting!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some bettas just hate water changes and will act like that. I had one that would hang at the top for about 20-30 minutes after a water change, then he'd be fine after that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #5 
sumsum

He might have just be a little sad that he can't get to the females. I'm sure he'll be alright !
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #6 
AlexXx

Thanks guys, hes still acting slightly lethargic... but he seems to be doing alright. Its gunna be tough to give him salt baths if hes gunna act like this every time.... I guess ill just see what he does 2marrow. I really want his fin rot to go away, hes got the most gorgeous fins ever.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #7 
AlexXx

now he wont eat :/
Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #8 
JamieTron

You should give him a break from the salt baths, they can be quite stressful on a fish because it affects their osmoregulation (which the balance of water and salts in a fish's body basically). How much salt are you adding to what volume of water??? Are you using aquarium salt?

see if he improves after a break and then try again if you feel that is needed

You could try a medication specifically for fin rot (is that the problem?) if he is not taking well to the salt baths.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #9 
AlexXx

I only gave him 2. He freaked out after his 2nd, (a day break between). I am going to change his water 2marrow and add JFC to his quarantine vase before i add him back. Hope this works out! Thanks for the help Jamie! i really hope his fins grow back :(
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #10 
JamieTron

oooh that's strange two should not be so bad...hrm perhaps he is just really sensitive. Hopefully he can heal up for you! Keep trying :)
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote