Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Female Breeding Question

Just something I was thinking about the other day. If a female receives the constant "conditioning" requirements over a longer period of time, how long can she stay eggy or on the verge of eggy?

I just have a female that I tend to feed twice a day since she's next to my babies, she's in sight of a mature male who actively builds bubble nests and shows off for her and she reacts the same. She's slimmed down a little since I got her but I was just wondering since what I'm feeding is high quality food along with lots of frozen foods and variation, this would technically be considered conditioning except for the fact she can see the male all day long. It's not bothering her that I can see but she didn't drop egg's either, so I assume she has just re-absorbed them.

Anyway, how long can a female remain eggy? Is there a length of time until she just drops them or is it different for each fish and each situation?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #2 
Jayloo

I read somewhere that a female has two egg sacs and as she breeds and looses the eggs from the first sac th second sac of eggs start to become ripened... IDK how true that is as I have not really researched any further than that heresay BUT if you feed a fenale live and frozen foods she should remain eggy awhile... sometimes females are full of egggs and just doesnt look that way.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #3 
snowflake311

I had a female stay very round for 2 weeks after a Failed spawn due to the male not being ready. She was more then ready. I thought she was going to pop poor girl.

It's true the female does not have to be huge to be full of eggs. My small female was not big at all. In fact I was not expecting much from the spawn. In the end she gave me over 200 fry. I have this same female next to the male I spawned her to. I have the same thing going on. Male is making a nest and showing he wants to breed. She teases him.

Keep your fish healthy and happy you will not have to worry about it.

Last edited by snowflake311; 10-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 
Jayloo

Sometimes the large belly is just that... Too much fat. I believe in fasting days for those piggy girls. ;) May get fed every other day instead
Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you for the answers guys! Yeah she's not fat per se, but she's slimmed down in the tummy area but you can see her ovaries nice and clearly as she's most likely still eggy, not intentionally.

I won't be breeding her, at least not yet so I'm not really worried about it. It was just something I was wondering.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #6 
Jayloo

No problem :)