Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #1 
equonce

Exclamation Should I do an Epsom Salt bath??? Need help ASAP!!

I put a thread up yesterday about my crowntail betta and the beginning of dropsy maybe?? I fasted him for one day so far and he is a bit more active, but still bloated. Should I wait a few more days before giving him an ES bath? I prepared a hospital tank (two gallon bucket w/ two tsps of ES) and let it sit overnight. Its a bit cold so I put his heater in it to warm up the water. Should I do this tonight? And maybe do a 100% water change? I don't have a filter in right now because it was nasty. Please help asap!!
equonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #2 
Hanzobanana1

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plains!
I would put her/him in there right away. Try buying beta revive, I heard that works. My beta has dropsy to. Best luck to you both!
Hanzobanana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #3 
equonce

Thanks. After reading more threads I decided to do one more day of fasting and slowly add Epsom salt to his tank tomorrow, and do a few 25% water changes. Of course I ended up dumping the bucket! I will be heading to petsmart tomorrow and will look for some stuff!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #4 
Hanzobanana1

Ok! Hope she/he gets better
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #5 
equonce

Thanks! Me too. He is awesome and I don't want to lose him!
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #6 
Hanzobanana1

Let me know how everything goes!
Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #7 
equonce

Well yesterday I took 2 quarts of his water out and added enough epsom salt to treat a 10 gallon tank (I did 6 tsps just because I was nervous). I let it sit overnight after mixing it up real well.

Today I purchased some Maracyn Two and started the treatment when I got home. I also slowly added the ES water over the course of 30 mins. Denzel was swimming all over but unable to swim towards the bottom. I am still fasting (this is day 3) but his belly is still swollen.

Should I do any water change tomorrow? If so how much?

I wasn't sure if you could change the water while doing the treatment. I bought new filters but haven't put one in yet since the instructions on the meds said not to have new carbon filters in while doing the treatment.

Am I doing everything ok??? I am hoping I caught this early, since its only been a week since I have noticed the bloating.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #8 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by equonce View Post
Well yesterday I took 2 quarts of his water out and added enough epsom salt to treat a 10 gallon tank (I did 6 tsps just because I was nervous). I let it sit overnight after mixing it up real well.
I'm not the fish Dr. here by many means, but you do realize that 6 teaspoons of Magnesium sulfate rise the the gH by 90 ppm in 10 gallons of water?

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #9 
equonce

From what I have read in many posts, 1tsp per gallon is what is used. So far he is much more lively! The bloating has gone down a little since yesterday so that's a plus!
Old 10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #10 
rickey
Banned

You can use far less and still be effective. The goldfish world doses at eighth of a teaspoon per 5 gallons to treat SBD. Just an observation but this 20X high that we normally dose

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, bloated belly, dropsy, epsom salt