Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #1 
Gilbert

Exclamation How do you clean a tank with sand?

I've always wondered how you clean a tank that has sand in it. I would think if you used a gravel vacuum it would suck the sand up so how do you clean your tank?

Also I really hate using gravel because I can never get it clean enough. How do you clean gravel before putting it in a tank?

Thanks!!
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:44 AM   #2 

You clean the sand by holding the gravel vaccum slightly above the sand as opposed to shoving it down into the sand. All of the waste ,debri,etc should remain on the surface of the sand making shoving the gravel vac into it unneccessary. After you clean the sand in this way, you simply sift through the sand with your fingers or plastic fork or other tool to keep pockets of gas from building up. I have found that if sand is kept at no more than two inches deep,, then there is little chance of said gas pockets forming. the use of trumpet snails can also be utilized thus making the sifting unneccessary.
You clean gravel before using in the aquarium by rinsing it several times in a tub or bucket or by using a collander(not sure of spelling).
Sand will need to be rinsed ,rinsed,rinsed,and rinsed again to help keep it from clouding and to remove very fine grains and or dirt that may be found in it. Approx, one pound of sand for each gal for approx inch and a half of depth in the aquarium.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #3 
AlexXx

Not sure about the sand, but for rinsing the gravel i just put it in a pasta strainer from the kitchen and rinsed rinsed rinsed :)
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I rinse mine with a strainer too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #5 
Gilbert

I guess I don't rinse the gravel long enough. I do it in a strainer, in the sink for like 10 minutes and my water still came out cloudy =/
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #6 
ElmoFish

It may be the gravel your buying, I've never had a problem, but I've heard that Walmart gravel seems to cause that no matter how much it's rinsed.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #7 
Gilbert

I got mine from petco. =/
Old 09-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #8 
Vikki81207

I boil my gravel when cleaning it. It always works for me
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 PM   #9 
Gilbert

I thought you couldn't boil gravel?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #10 
darni

i just put it in a collender(spelling?) under a tap and shook it for aaaaaaaggggeeeesssss, then tipped it into the bath and let it sit in really hot water,let that lot out and repeat then back into the collender for a final rinse,it always gets it really clean
darni is offline   Reply With Quote