Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #1 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Exclamation Black specks on pectoral fin

Hi everyone I have a problem with my little betta Sushi. I have had him for 2 months now and originally adopted him from Walmart sick. I have been treating him for fin rot and anything else with Maracyn Plus Antibacteria for 3 weeks now. Around a week ago I noticed a black speck on one of his pectoral fins. I have looked it up countless times since then, some said it is new markings appearing (his pectoral fins are clear and have been ever since i got him) and also because he is a dalmation. But now he has multiple specks on both pectoral fins! They do not seem to bother him and he is still acting normal. I thought they were new markings but they look 3D, more like tiny black clumps that stuck to his fins. I tried getting pictures but his pectoral fins are small and he never stays still.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetrabetta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? bettasafe and betta ph balance

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? treating with maracyn plus anibacteria
Does your fish have any history of being ill? been ill since I got him, but has come back a lot since then
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 10 months? (don't know how old they are when you get them at walmart)

Thank you for any advice you can give! Please help me because I am curious and I don't know what to do. Thankies! <3
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

why you using betta ph balance. Do not use it even if your pH is high. Bettas are very adjustable to pH and fluctuation will do more harm. What is your pH? Not sure about those multiple specks i will ask someone to look at your thread.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Kawaii. Do you think you could get a pic of these specks? I know it could be hard but it would help me identify the problem, if there is one. There is an external parasite that is visible as black specks on the body but to the best of my knowledge, bettas rarely if ever get this parasite. However, if you want to google fish lice argulus, maybe you can tell by the pics if this is what he has?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

I didn't know that anhel :c I won't use it anymore! And sakura the specks are the size of a pin prick, some of them seemed to have fallen off or something. I will look up fish lice argulus right now! Also I do have quick safe which is for external parasites, should I use that just in case?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #5 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah Sushi doesn't have fish lice
Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Are you still using Maracyn Plus?
About those black specks keep eye on them and make sure he don't have any other symptoms that would mean he has external parasites. The symptoms darting and scratching the body on objects.
Since you doing full water changes remove the filter. You really don't need it. The filer also can gather a lot of gunk on it if you don't rinse it regularly. I would take out the filter and do full water changes about every 4 days. Also i think you don't need to treat him any longer with Maracyn.

And i have a question to Sakura . If its a parasites is it still treatable the same way as ich is? Or he should be treated with medications?
Is it better to treat him anyway ? He has those specks for a wk now.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #7 
Sakura8

If it's parasites, it can be treated the same as ich, yes, with salt and high heat. But since the spots aren't argulus, I can't think of any other external parasite that would be visible. You can also use the Quick Cure but I personally would hold off unless he's showing other symptoms like fin clamping, extra slime coat, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If he's acting okay other than the specks, then I'd wait on the Quick Cure.

It's possible it's just random color changing. Bettas should have their common name changed from Siamese Fighting Fish to Chameleon fish. o.O
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #8 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah I read that it could just be new spotting since he is a dalmation. Now I'm just treating him with stress coat. He darts around but he is always energetic like that and wiggles a lot haha.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

If he will start scratching his body on objects then its a parasites symptoms. So just keep close eye on him.
Keep us updated.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #10 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

I am not sure if he is itching but when he swims near the bottom he will wiggle around really fast almost like when a dog shakes the water off its body. Like he will swim in between the thermometer and the glass and will wiggle or if he swims through a tight space. Idk if it is him scratching or him trying to wiggle out of the space or even him just wiggling because he is excited. He has always done that though.

Last edited by KawaiiRainbowMuffin; 10-24-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Tags
betta fish care, help me figure it out, illness