Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

So basically no new symptoms because he was always doing it?
Is there any chance of the video him doing it?
Betta can do it when they are excited but it usually on the top of the surface not on the bottom. Check the video is it looks like it or diffirent
https://www.google.com/search?q=bett...sm=93&ie=UTF-8
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #12 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXWHVo5HOg
it is more like that when I am playing with him or when he swims around the thermometer. But he wiggles faster than that. I haven't seen any black specks on his body just his pectoral fins. When he swims between rocks I think he wiggles to get out because he thinks he is stuck? Other than the fin rot he has been recovering from he is quite healthy and eats like a piggy.
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #13 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/...psc7fb0b1f.jpg
This is the best picture I can get of the black specks. They look like very tiny balls that stuck to him almost and they are only on his pectoral fins
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

The behavior like that is normal . I am really not sure about those specks though. You made the thread on 10/18 and wrote that he has it for about a wk. So he has those for like 13-14 days? I would think if it would be parasites he would have develop other symptoms like itching, scratching , darting. And you saying that his wiggles between rocks also continuing from long time ago meaning that he didn't get new symptoms and didn't get worse so i would think just observation for now. But i will text Sakura to check on the thread so she will confirm if i am right.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #15 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Yeah they have not progressed. He only has 2 on his left pectoral fin and 3 or 4 on the other. They haven't grown or anything. My guess is that it is his dalmation pattern coming in but I didn't think they would start off black.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If it's parasites, it can be treated the same as ich, yes, with salt and high heat. But since the spots aren't argulus, I can't think of any other external parasite that would be visible. You can also use the Quick Cure but I personally would hold off unless he's showing other symptoms like fin clamping, extra slime coat, lethargy, and loss of appetite. If he's acting okay other than the specks, then I'd wait on the Quick Cure.

It's possible it's just random color changing. Bettas should have their common name changed from Siamese Fighting Fish to Chameleon fish. o.O
I am going to quote Sakura post. I think its good idea still just monitor him to make sure he don't develop any symptoms . But may be buy medications so you have it on hands in case you need it. I am glad he doing good
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #17 
Sakura8

I saw the pics but I couldn't see any black specks. Only thing I could see that are black are the rays of his pectoral fins. Not sure if that's what you mean? His fins appear to be semi-transparent reddish brown with dark brown/black rays.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #18 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

yes they are transparent, the specks are the size of a pin prick so I know they are hard to see. As for the extra slime coat...I don't know what that looks like. o.o I have noticed that on the top of the water it looks like a very thin sheet of semi cloudyness...like when gasoline is on the top of water. o.o
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #19 
Sakura8

Hi Kawaii. Extra slime coat causes the skin to look dull and gray, sometimes in patches and sometimes all over. It can also come off the body in whispy tendrils that look like fungus but aren't. If he had this problem, he would probably also be showing other symptoms like clamped fins.

The film on the water is a protein oil film that happens when the water doesn't get enough circulation. Feeding lots of high protein foods can cause this. I get them in any unfiltered tank and it's harmless but annoying. You can lay a paper towel flat on the water surface and it will soak the oil slick up. But the only way to really prevent them is to increase surface water circulation, usually by adding an airstone or sponge filter.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #20 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Ohhhh I see. :o so overall the black specks are color patterns and I shouldn't be worried?

Tags
betta fish care, help me figure it out, illness