Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1 
vaygirl

A question about lighting

I just wanna say first, I love this forum. I'm new to betta ownership and I just moved my male, Tango, from a 1.5 gallon cube to a 16 gallon aquarium. I've learned a lot here and you guys saved me from making a mistake on purchasing companions. Tango is mean and grumpy. He flares at me! He'll not be getting any tankmates. :D

Here's my problem/question:
When I put him in the new tank, he went into patrolling mania. He was swimming and flaring up so much that he kept going to the top for air. The tank came with a hood with a flourescent light. I turned out the light after about a half hour of his mania and he immediately calmed down. I guess I didn't consider that his cube only had LED lights and this new light must have seemed like the light of creation to him. I want to be able to see him but I want him to be happy. Right now I put watercolor paper (checked frequently for temp, doesn't even get overly warm) between the hood and the light but I'm not really happy with that solution. It just doesn't seem safe. Is there a dimmer light I can get? Will a colored light be less vivid for him? Any suggestions would help.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2 
kelly528

I diffuse my betta's light with floating plants, eg duckweed (kind of a pain, though), salvinia and water lettuce (great plants-- grow fast). Some other ones you can try are frogbit, pennywort and riccia. Not only do they provide shade for your betta, they will baffle the flow of your filter and provide awesome hiding/bubblenesting places. Since the drift around in the current, you will not have to worry about any other plants getting 'blocked out' from the light.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #3 
vaygirl

Thanks! That's the one thing I hadn't thought of. I wanted to do live plants in my tank but it's tall and I'd read that lighting is often a problem. Plants on the top seems like a decent compromise. Thanks again! :D
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #4 
Splinter492

wow just thought id say, your betta is so amazing! i love him!
Splinter492 is offline   Reply With Quote