Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #51 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've taken in several fish that might be culled otherwise because they had some deformity and couldn't be bred or shown. I wish I could take in more but I just don't have the room.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #52 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think doing it for any reason other then for the love of the fish/advancement of the species would make you a bad breeder, as opposed to the opposite way around.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #53 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayloo View Post
Breeding and caring for betta fish is very therapeutic. I lost a set of twins back to their biological parents after having them from ages 2-4.. I potty trained them, taught them their ABC's...everything. Parents cleaned up their act and now they are gone. I had to turn to my fish. Only thing that mmakes my heart not hurt. :)
OH MY GOD I hate stories like that. It's not right that someone can just give up the child and then years later want them back. That is so sad and not fair for the kid. It's because of things like that where americans go to other country to adopt. I am so sorry its just not right.

Fish keeping is very therapeutic. It helped me during hard times. I have a good friend that is fighting cancer and sadly it looks to be winning. Her daughter is 16 and I set up a fish tank for her and I am teaching her how to care for the fish. It is helping her during this very hard time.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #54 
hollyk

Update- Received my female from Basement Bettas today. She is absolutely stunning- thank you all so much for the recommendations! And, to make me even happier, Sherolyn from Basement Bettas threw in another lovely green marble female as a nice surprise. (Thankfully, I do have a few extra small QT tanks lying around, so she has something to live in until I can get her a bigger home! lol) Both are gorgeous fish, nicely and securely packed; overall a wonderful experience. Can't recommend her highly enough! Looking forward to getting started breeding in the spring!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #55 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your fish sound wonderful. I knew they would be, coming from Sherolyn. :) I'll be looking forward to reading your spawn log next spring.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #56 
hollyk

They are wonderful! And for whatever reason, these ladies recovered from their journey and acclimated much more quickly than the other 2 fish I've received in the mail (both from different sellers). They got their color back within minutes of releasing them into their tanks and are swimming around vigorously without a seeming care in the world already. Actually, the one female is in a tank that has an LED light/bubbler, and I was wondering how she'd be with the bubbler. It's adjustable, so I can turn it down or off completely if she didn't like it. She's been swimming back and forth through it for hours. LOL I think she likes it! But in any case, I'm just very impressed. In addition to being beautiful and well-bred outwardly, they seem very healthy and well-cared for, to have acclimated as quickly as they did. I couldn't be happier with them. <3 And I'll definitely be keeping a spawn log! I want everyone to see the beautiful babies that my lovely pair creates!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #57 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad they're doing so well. It just goes to show you that you'll get nothing but top quality from Sherolyn.