Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Well...

I only had one class today, so I went to Petsmart to get some pellets for my girls. I'm sure you all know what happened next...8)

I went to look at the Bettas, and they had 3 crowntails (all very lovely, but didn't really call to me) and a TON of Veiltails, and no females. I don't like Veiltales much, but there was one in the very back and he stole my heart! He was all white with red splotches on his fins.

...Unfortunately, I only had $20 and realized it would be better if I didn't buy him since I couldn't afford his housing. Ugh, I need to find a job ASAP. :/

So I went to get the pellets and I got some Dwarf Hairgrass, and when i came back they had added a few more Crowntails and some females!

So I left the store with two new females!
One is white with red at the end of her fins, the rest of her fin changes colour as the light hits it. I'm thinking of naming her Aigis, but i'm open to suggestions.

The other is very unique. Her body is a dark sort of green/olive colour and red/brown fins. She is HUGE though, twice the size of Bambi and Lolita. She seems sorta aggressive/spazzy so I hope all goes well because I'd like to keep her. No name for her yet. Suggestions, please!

Anywaay...right now Aigis(?) is floating in her cup and Bambi and Lolita are swarming around her excitedly. She's big too (not as big as the other female, but still bigger than my girls) but doesn't really seem to mind them.

Here's hoping all goes well. ;)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I just bought my first female betta today at Petco! She's white with red on her fins too. Whenever I go there I shouldn't go anywhere near the betta selection b/c I always fall in love with them and now I have 10 bettas so I think I'm done for a while. :P
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #3 
Vikki81207

Pics! Lol
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Okay, erm...stupid question ahead.

So I let Aigis out and for the first few minutes I think she was overwhelmed and left my fish alone. However...Bambi came close by to see who the stranger was, and Aigis sort of started...flaring? Well, she opened her gills up and starting advancing towards her, so I put her in the breeding trap...

So...is it normal for females to flare, or is Aigis actually a male?

EDIT: Maybe taking pics would be a good idea, so you guys can help me. Just a sec, I'll go see if I can borrow the camera.

Last edited by Jupiter; 09-11-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #5 
ElmoFish

girls flare too.. but check for an oviposter (white spot on the belly) to make sure shes a she
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

Females flare. Pearl flares. Aqua did too. It's normal.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Oh! That's a relief. I just checked and she does indeed have a white spot on her belly. Thanks for the help. Then I'm assuming it's okay for her to flare a bit at first?

Also, I got the camera, but it's dead. I'm charging it atm.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Okat, to update...I think Aigis might have to be removed. :/

She's flaring and following the girls in an agitated fashion. Bambi and Lolita swim away, but the new bigger girl stays. Then Aigis will sort of curl around her and press her mouth against her side. So far she hasn't actually nipped/attacked any of them.

The bigger new girl seems to be okay with Lolita and Bambi. She follows them as well, but not really frantically like Aigis does. Hers is more like...curiosity, I guess. But because of her size, I think, the girls still run away. Their stress stripes are rather prominent again.
It's a good thing I boguht the Dwarf Hairgrass because Bambi keeps retreating there.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? Should i take Aigis back tomorrow? It'll be a shame because she's very pretty, but I don't want Bambi and Lolita hurt.

Here are some pictures btw:

This is the biggest girl with Lolita, so you can see how big she is.

Here's Aigis:

Here's both of them together:

Last edited by Jupiter; 09-11-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

Wow they're beautiful!!
Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Pretty fish! None of my girls flare. I saw Blue Bonnet flare ONE time. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote