Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #1 
CinderSmoke

What fish to add?

I have a 50 gallon aquarium. It currently houses one male betta, some red rams horn snails and a few mystery snails. What fish can I add to compliment my current inhabitants?
CinderSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #2 
mybabyjets

guppies, but some people have trouble with them. I never did though.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #3 
snowflake311

cory cats, tetras, Dojo Loach, BN Pleco, bolivian ram or Apistogramma,
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:23 AM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

You have lots more options in a 50 gallon.

Guppies
Endlers
Pygmy Cories
Chili Rasboras
Most "Nano" fish
You can get only male Guppies and Endlers if you don't want babies

I buy from Rachel at this site She carries mostly Micro/Nano fish:
Current Stock list | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

She quarantines all her fish before they are available for sale. You might pay a bit more but you're getting much healthier fish than from pet stores.

I would stay away from the Dario as they can be difficult to feed.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:50 AM   #5 
Taboo

I have a 50g :D I have a sorority (so, female bettas) in it, not a male, but it also has ember tetras, otos, habrosus cories, endlers.... and there's so many possibilities!
Just make sure they're all peaceful, and not likely to nip at his beautiful long fins (especially if they're faster swimmers, which most fish are!) and remember most betta-compatible fish like to be in schools
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #6 
hollyk

CORIES!!! I just think they're the cutest. They look cute, they swim cute, and as far as I've heard, they're never a problem with bettas. They're just peaceful little bottom dwellers. I'm cycling a tank right now so I can add some. Oh, and if you do decide to get some cories, you need at least a few of them. Everyone suggests a different minimum number of cories you need, but they are very sociable and need friends.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyk View Post
CORIES!!! I just think they're the cutest. They look cute, they swim cute, and as far as I've heard, they're never a problem with bettas. They're just peaceful little bottom dwellers. I'm cycling a tank right now so I can add some. Oh, and if you do decide to get some cories, you need at least a few of them. Everyone suggests a different minimum number of cories you need, but they are very sociable and need friends.
I have been keeping cory cats for years and even bred them. I would like to add to this that you need to keep a few of the same kind don't get 1 panda 1 bronze and 1 pygmy .

I say get at least 3 or 4 of one kind. I have 3 skunk corys, 3 Three-lined Cory, 5 bronze. You can mix albinos with Bronze because they are the same types of cory just one is albino.

My corys will hang out with the different kinds but are often found close to their own kind. They are so cute and a fish I will always keep.

Another note Keep lots of Pygmy corys I think they should be kept in groups of 5 but 10 would be best. I kept these guys they are The best.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

I have 15+ Pymy Cories and love them. Actually, I could have a tank of only Pygmy Cories with my Betta and be perfectly happy. But the male Endlers and Panda Guppies (dwarf-type) have added a nice touch of color.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #9 
CinderSmoke

I've added 7 white cloud minnows and 3 cory cats. I will definitely go back for more of each because I love how they school. I wish the shop near me had neon tetras, because they've always been my favorite tetra.
CinderSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #10 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderSmoke View Post
I've added 7 white cloud minnows and 3 cory cats. I will definitely go back for more of each because I love how they school. I wish the shop near me had neon tetras, because they've always been my favorite tetra.
very nice. Yes go back and get more Cory Cats for sure you could have like 10 or 15 in a 50Gal no problem. They do best with sand substrate.