Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #1 
Labeledsk8r

New here, my fish nemo and his tank

Just joined up, my girlfriend and i own a male betta named nemo (yeah i know what an original name), and just resently got a 1.5 gallon tank for him (now wishing i got larger). we rescued him from a walmart were he was surounded by dead fish, have had him in a vase setup for a few months now and just couldnt keep up with the water changes, with both of our work schedules. im not new to fish at all but this is my first setup in the past few years (since i moved out from my parents house). anyways here sosme pics (sorry there cell pics)

and no the tnak doesnt tilt that much i was just holding the phone kinda weird

and nemo

one thing i have noticed since i switched him to this tank is that he likes to swim around the filters intake (its a whisper 1-3 filer) wich of corse sucks on his fins, i plan to add something to the bottom to help this, im also considering adding an air valve to the air line to slow down the suction a tad bit. mayby even a defuser on the outlet. he doesnt realy mind the current and i found him many times sitting there swimming in the current for a few seconds swimming off and then comeing back doing it over and over (fish tredmill?) but i think its just a tad to much movement for such a small tank

anyways sorry for the long intro look forward to hearing comments and feedback
Labeledsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #2 
sunkissedinCA

welcome to the forum! you can put pantyhose over the part of the filter where the suction is, that way his fins dont get sucked in and torn up. he's a cutie!
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. Pretty fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #4 
AlexXx

Welcome to the forum! i saw that same tank at walmart yesterday i think! its nice! im glad he likes it :)
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedinCA View Post
welcome to the forum! you can put pantyhose over the part of the filter where the suction is, that way his fins dont get sucked in and torn up. he's a cutie!
thank you. yeah i was going to try that today, also goingot try to slow the filter down a little. hard to turn the filter off last night as i was worried about leaveing it on, but when i woke up today he had a nce big bubblenest allready

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Hello and welcome to FishForum. Pretty fish!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Welcome to the forum! i saw that same tank at walmart yesterday i think! its nice! im glad he likes it :)
yes walmart does have it, i actully got this one at petsmart for $24.xx then went to walmart and saw it there for $18.xx but the walmart kit came with less items but still seems like a good deal, still kicking myself for not getting the 3 gallon version wich petco had on sale for $29
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #6 
SweetnSpicy

I have the same exact tank for my sister's fish. I am saving up for a 10gal and a divider now, but it works pretty good. Do he swim under the bubble part, or behind the filter itself?

Cute fish, by the way. And I love the name, much more original than my female, Fish n.n
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #7 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnSpicy View Post
I have the same exact tank for my sister's fish. I am saving up for a 10gal and a divider now, but it works pretty good. Do he swim under the bubble part, or behind the filter itself?

Cute fish, by the way. And I love the name, much more original than my female, Fish n.n

yeah i mean its not a bad tank, much better then a small bowl, just shoulda went bigger while i was spending money. he liked ot swim under the bubbler part of the filter but i have allready done the pantyhose mod to it.. gong to see how he adjusts to the water movement if he seems to not like it ima bukld a defuser

lol well fish is a better name for a fish then dog or bird lol
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #8 
vaygirl

I kept mine in the exact same tank for about 6 months. Tetra recommended weekly 50% water changes, which wasn't too hard with such a small setup. Just keep a gallon spring water jug near the tank and refill and dechlorinate it when you're changing the water and it's ready to go the next week. Or you could just buy a new bottle every week. (If you go to tetra-fish.com and go through their tetra care setup, they'll send you email reminders too!). He did very well in there. He just got put in a 16 gallon.

He's beautiful too. I love his colors! And the gravel really sets him off. Love it!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #9 
SweetnSpicy

Yeah, it is decent, but in the long run, a 5gal or 10gal would be better :3

The reason I asked is because both of our males LOVE to go behind it.
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #10 
Labeledsk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I kept mine in the exact same tank for about 6 months. Tetra recommended weekly 50% water changes, which wasn't too hard with such a small setup. Just keep a gallon spring water jug near the tank and refill and dechlorinate it when you're changing the water and it's ready to go the next week. Or you could just buy a new bottle every week. (If you go to tetra-fish.com and go through their tetra care setup, they'll send you email reminders too!). He did very well in there. He just got put in a 16 gallon.

He's beautiful too. I love his colors! And the gravel really sets him off. Love it!
yeah im not to worried about the water changes, much better then on the vase he was in. haveing a filter on it makes me feel much better.

and thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetnSpicy View Post
Yeah, it is decent, but in the long run, a 5gal or 10gal would be better :3

The reason I asked is because both of our males LOVE to go behind it.
i agree, im still kicking myself on passing on the larger size tank. my gf and i desided that in a few months we would upgrade him to a larger tank. both her and i are a bit worried about if were alowed to have larger sized tanks in our apartment

and no he doesnt seem to go behind it lol but i have noticed he tends to hang around at the bottom alot at night, as soon as i switch the filter off he swims around and floats around the top of the tank, this worries me and for a second night in a row im shuttig the filter off before i go to sleep asim worried its overstressing him. and the current seems slower then before after i put the pantyhose on... i guess i need to find a way to slow it down more? i dunno