Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
Ghost27

Stormy the male betta

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've had my veiltail male betta Stormy for about a year now. He's in his own 5 gallon aquarium. I was curious if there were any other fish that I could add with him?

Also it might be helpful to add that I'm currently living in dorm that does not allow any fish that "walk", which means shrimp are a no-go. And snails are illegal in my state. I know, weird right?

Last edited by Ghost27; 10-20-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Ghost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #2 
ALex1183

any kind of Corey Catfish art good and algee eaters. but any fish you add should be less than 3inches and not brightly colered by that i mean not a lot of colors so 1 or two colors is ok. they should not be know for fin nipping at all.
ALex1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #3 
DerangedUnicorn

Not that I'm encouraging breaking rules, but is there anyone who will actually notice a shrimp on your tank that would get you in trouble? I mean, I don't think Shrimp could really walk if they got out of a tank. I'm in a dorm with a ten gallon & a 2.5 gallon, which isn't allow, but no one will see it that matters.

Anyways, I have an African dwarf frog in with my betta in the 2.5 gallon. Frogs don't walk, they jump. ;) & even if a frog got out, they don't live long without water. Just suggesting though.
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #4 
hollyk

LOL, my dorm when I was an undergrad outlawed carnivorous fish and any pet that wasn't a fish. I had a figure-eight puffer who ate snails. Little carnivore. Like anyone inspecting would've known by looking at the fish that he was a carnivore. I also had a panther gecko and a guinea pig stashed under the bed!

I'm also a big fan of cories, but you need to keep more than one of them to keep them happy. I'm not sure if a 5 gallon would work for that. Partly I think, it depends on what type of 5 gallon you have. Mine is a hexagon- taller than it is long, which is bad for the cories, who are bottom dwellers. They might be okay in one of the shorter, longer 5g tanks, but I really don't know... I think they need more room. They're always on the bottom and they're pretty active. Usually at least a 10g is recommended for them.

An African Dwarf Frog might be an idea, too. They swim more than walk. lol They can live alone, although I've heard that they're more fun in pairs. I've never had one, but I think that they can do fine in a 5 gallon.

Oh, and is your tank cycled, or do you do frequent 100% water changes? Some fish (most fish) need to be introduced to fully cycled tanks. I know that cories are included in that number; not sure about the frogs. But depending on the type of fish you decide to add, it's good to know whether they need to be in an established tank if yours isn't. You may need to cycle it.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedUnicorn View Post
Not that I'm encouraging breaking rules, but is there anyone who will actually notice a shrimp on your tank that would get you in trouble? I mean, I don't think Shrimp could really walk if they got out of a tank. I'm in a dorm with a ten gallon & a 2.5 gallon, which isn't allow, but no one will see it that matters.

Anyways, I have an African dwarf frog in with my betta in the 2.5 gallon. Frogs don't walk, they jump. ;) & even if a frog got out, they don't live long without water. Just suggesting though.
I am not sure how long the frog has been with your betta but they have a huge bioload andy your tank parameters could go bad quickly I would consider getting 10 gallon if you intend to keep them both together.
Frogs are fun but they do need bigger tank. There is a discussion about frogs in Finnless friends.

For the OP I would go with shrimp. They cannot escape your tank even if a dorm "inspector" came through they are not likely to even notice the shrimp. The do like live plants and require good water quality.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #6 
DerangedUnicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I am not sure how long the frog has been with your betta but they have a huge bioload andy your tank parameters could go bad quickly I would consider getting 10 gallon if you intend to keep them both together.
Frogs are fun but they do need bigger tank. There is a discussion about frogs in Finnless friends.
I've had them together for about two weeks. I do at least a 50% water change every 2-3 days. Everything I've read said that frogs have a small bioload. Plus, I feed the frog outside the tank so I know there's no left over food rotting in the tank. I don't know if I mentioned this, but my betta is one of the baby's from Petco. I've had her for about a month & she's tripled in size! I wish I could give them a bigger tank, but at the time, that's not possible. Thanks for the advice. If anything goes wrong, I have a ten gallon with three bettas in it that the frog can be transferred to, but so far, they seem to like each other's company. I check my parameters often too. They have been good. Thanks for the concern though! :)
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote