Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #1 
superpow

My new femlae is not only bottom-feeding, but she ATE a ghost shrimp!

I'm at a loss as to what to do here...

I just got a new VT female a couple of days ago. She's young and very active betta. The problem is that she is CONSTANTLY savaging the bottom of the tank for pellets that are intended for the ghost shrimp and my lone cory. She did this the very first day I put her in her new home. The others don't get much of a chance to get to the pellets because she will swim like a mini-torpedo to the food just as soon as I drop it down. Lights on, lights off---makes no difference. The constant eating has left her stomach visibly swollen but she is still darting around the tank, so I'm not too worried, but I didn't feed the tank just as a precaution.

Well, earlier today I went by her tank and saw her with a ghost shrimp in her mouth---only the tail was visible. I freaked out and put the other shrimp in my older male betta's tank (he ignores them).

This has got to be the piggiest little thing I've ever come across, and it's very unusual for a betta to eat so soon. Should I be worried about parasites? Do you think my female could be harmed by eating so much? Here are a couple of pics of her bottom-feeding:

Name:  IMG_20131020_182920.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20131020_182913.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  75.8 KB

Last edited by superpow; 10-20-2013 at 05:47 PM.
superpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It isn't unusual at all for them to eat so soon, and all fish will look around for their food. Any fish will eat a shrimp if it fits in their mouth.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
superpow

My male betta hardly ever went after the sinking pellets. The female does this all day long. So...any suggestions on how to get her to stop?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #4 
sainthogan

My female eats food from anywhere, she even eats her plants. My male on the other hand only eats from the surface, if it sinks, he won't go for it.
sainthogan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

The shrimp could have already been dead and she had an opportunistic feed.

I would say you don't have enough cover or hides for inverts or the Cory. If you had them, you could drop the non-Betta food there which would slow your female down.

Get more plants and you should be okay.

Have fun.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #6 
hollyk

Sorry for going off topic, but a lone cory isn't a great situation. They are very sociable and should be in groups of at least 3 of their own kind. i.e. pandas, three-lines, etc. They'll get along with others, but they stick closest with their own species. You may want to consider adding at least one more to keep yours company.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 hollyk

....except it depends on size of tank on whether more than one will increase the bioload too much.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #8 
nobbles

To me ask yourself what she would be eating in the wild? That shrimp wouldn't be to far off a natural diet. Like matts said, if it fits in their mouth any fish willl eat it. So I wouldn't be concerned to much. I have 3 females in my sorority and they are all greedy little pigs. Eat everything and everything. Also will eat off the floor given the chance and are looking fatish at the moment. I am conditioning them so not overly concered, but I skip a day every week of feeding. Or feed half their normal amount. Also added a chinese algea eater to the tank to help clean up. So far he is eating things before they go searching.
nobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

My females are the same. lol. Except they've never eaten a shrimp because I got amano shrimp which are much too big for them to eat. But they eat snails and they also go straight for the sinking pellets I put in for my cories. I see a lot of them staring at the bottom occasionally like yours is doing. hehe. Usually it's because they're hunting snails.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #10 
superpow

I am getting more cories this Friday; I am well aware that they like to be in groups. I was holding off on getting more because I originally had five with my male betta, but as he got older he because aggressive with them. The others died while I went on vacation. I had someone coming in to feed/check on my tank every other day but I doubt they were doing that, hence the dead fish. Anyway, the female doesn't seem to mind the cory, so I take this as a good sign.

The reason why my tank is so bare is that I had a humungous cyano outbreak that left my plants dead/dying. The plants you see are the survivors. Again, I will be getting more this Friday. If you look at my avatar you will see what my tank used to look like: very well-planted.

I just find it funny that the male leaves the shrimp alone yet the female is a shrimp-assassin, though it might have already been dead like RussellTheShihTzu suggests.

Thanks to all that answered---however, and I do hate to say it, but some of you come across as really condescending. IMO, YMMV, etc.etc.

Last edited by superpow; 10-22-2013 at 11:27 AM.