Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #1 
Rjlupin

My Betta made friends with Danios?

OK, call me crazy, "Bettas and Danios are not a good mix", but my male Betta is totally fine with them. He tolerates them coming very near in their little games of tag. Here's a video: He's displaying threat stripes, but he does that every time I take out my camera. (Getting a photo of him without them is nearly impossible).

Also, ignore the weird comments, my channel doesn't usually put up pet related stuff and people got confused... I forgot to unlist it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeV5kL_HCCU

Last edited by Rjlupin; 10-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Rjlupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #2 
valen1014

Your betta is beautiful! I love his colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlupin View Post
OK, call me crazy, "Bettas and Danios are not a good mix", but my male Betta is totally fine with them. He tolerates them coming very near in their little games of tag. Here's a video: He's displaying threat stripes, but he does that every time I take out my camera. (Getting a photo of him without them is nearly impossible).

Also, ignore the weird comments, my channel doesn't usually put up pet related stuff and people got confused... I forgot to unlist it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeV5kL_HCCU
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #3 
Rjlupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
Your betta is beautiful! I love his colors

Thank you! He has a weird mutation where if his fins are injured in any way, they split and grow more. So his top fin is a little heavy and weird, but we lovingly refer to it as his "Elvis Hair". He's a great pet, and I'm really glad that he's so happy with his company. I have lots of plants in my tank, and I needed a way to up the bioload. Looking back, it was risky to get danios, but I'm glad I did.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #4 
MyRedBetta

Actually Danios are fine with Bettas if some Bettas like tank mates. Alot also say neon tetras aren't a good mix which isn't 100% true, added about 6 today and my betta doesn't care.
MyRedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Can't access video.

It's not so much certain fish being good as tankmates; it's whether the tank is appropriate for a specific species. Shoaling/schooling fish like Danios and tetras need room to move so long tanks are preferred over high tanks and the larger the better.

IMO, anything less than a 10 gallon is too small for these fish.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

I can't see the video.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #7 
Rjlupin

Sorry guys, I actually put it on private. I'll put it back up.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #8 
Rjlupin

It's a 10 gallon.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRedBetta View Post
Actually Danios are fine with Bettas if some Bettas like tank mates. Alot also say neon tetras aren't a good mix which isn't 100% true, added about 6 today and my betta doesn't care.
LOL I have both zebra danios and neon tetras with my betta sorority and they're totally fine. But my tank is 55 gallons. I think a betta will get more stressed with danios in a smaller tank.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlupin View Post
It's a 10 gallon.
In my experience with Danios, a 10 gallon tank is waaaayy too small for them even if they were by themselves. they are so active and playful they really need a lot more room.

Last edited by OrangeAugust; 10-21-2013 at 01:45 PM.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #10 
Willowsong

I had a tank melt-down a while back and lost all my fish except for one longfin blue zebra danio. So I cleaned the tank out really well, put the danio back in and let it sit for a month... then I fell in love with a beautiful orange DSHM Betta and figured I would give it a shot.

So far they play in the filter current together and the betta and him play tag. No nipping/fighting/excessive flaring has happened yet and it's been about two weeks? I plan on either getting more danios, or giving my danio to a friend who has the same type in a much larger tank and getting some rasboras once I get a paycheck that isn't dedicated to unexpected bills.

I think all fish have a personality like people. So long as they get along, who cares if it's two species that "aren't compatible".
Willowsong is offline   Reply With Quote