Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #1 
Kilope

Do I have a reason to be concerned?

So, Ro, my little fish buddy who is keeping me company at university, seems to sit at the bottom of his tank a bit.

I know that that is usually a symptom of illness, but before I go nuts trying to treat every possible problem it could be... I just want to find out if this behaviour is okay.

While he's sitting on the bottom, if he sees any moment he is quick to get up and start swimming around excitedly, he still gets all defensive when I put a little tiger figurine up to his tank, and he eats happily and heartily. So he otherwise seems totally fine.

I just want to know what you guys have to say, because I'm certain you know much more than I do.

Some quick stats (just because it seems like the kind of thing that I'll have to state later): he's in a 1 gallon tank that has an under gravel filter and light. I recently changed the bottom of his tank from marbles to gravel (he never use to sit on the marbles... so maybe the gravel can help explain this habit), I do small weekly water changes, and he gets fed Betta Bio-Gold pellets. Oh... and he has a small heating pad too.
Kilope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #2 
Zoo Maniac

Most of the time whemn fish reach an old age sort of they spend more time on the bottom My Clown Loaches use to go everywhere when they were babies five years ago but now just sit on the floor and the swim around exitedly and stuff when playin sort of.
Zoo Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #3 
sumsum

As bettas get older they tend to be less active.
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #4 
Kilope

Is there any other way to tell if Ro is old?
I mean, I just got him this summer... and I know that that doesn't mean he's young, but I thought most pet stores will sell bettas usually younger than 6 months.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #5 
Zoo Maniac

Well sometimes the color is less brilliant and also as they get older the tail looks more torn i believe.
Zoo Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Is there anyway you can upgrade the tank to a 2-2.5 gallon? A gallon is a little small for a Betta.
Do you know what the temp. is at? You'll want to keep it at a steady 78-80 degrees.
Also, I would suggest at least 1-2 100% water changes a week in such a small tank just to keep your betta happy and healthy.
I hope you figure out the problem! :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #7 
sumsum

Was Ro one of the larger fish at the store?
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #8 
Kilope

I have an empty 3 gallon tank at home, and I know that I should use it, but space is a big concern because I'm in a dorm room.
The temperature is pretty much an even 79-80F because I've got the heating pad and light.
But yeah, he seems pretty content even though it's only 1 gallon. Plus the tank has been completely cycled so I have cut down a little bit on the water changes: I use to do weekly 50% changes, but now the parameters seem okay with just like 25% changes once a week.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #9 
Kilope

Ro was a pretty average sized fish at the store. There were definately bigger fish there than him, but also like 3 or 4 that were smaller.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #10 
doggyhog

What is the temp???
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote