Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #11 
AngelicScars

Hmmm I've read SEVERAL times that it is pretty impossible to to cycle a tank smaller then 5 gallons.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #12 
sumsum

Just as I hit reply my mind went blank.o.O It was a important thought too.
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #13 
okijapan

It is possible to cycle any size tank given that you don't do 100% water changes, this ensures that there is just enough ammonia retained to keep your bacteria going. All you need is a bit of ammonia, a porous surface and water flow to get the ammonia to the porous surface. That being said, make sure the water is tested almost obsessively until you're sure the tank is established and keep in mind that the larger tank is always the better option.
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #14 
lookame

My crowntail is having the same sort of thing. He used to sit at the bottom and not move to much. When he was in his 5 gallon he was fine and rather active then I added a bubbler(since my plecos kept dieing since there was no filter or anything) then I added the fliter and he started sitting low but still moved around a bit. Then I moved them to a 10 gallon and he sat at the bottom and wouldn't move around to much. With the addition of 3 silver mollies he seems to be really angry by this so those might go back tomorrow. I dunno about all them together
lookame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #15 
Jazattackk

He may be laying at the bottom because the tank is too small, or he's getting old.
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #16 
Kilope

Even though the water tests said it was okay... I did a 50% water change and put in some betta fix, he seems much happier and much more active now. Thanks for the help though!
Kilope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #17 
BakaMandy

For a 1 gallon tank, water changes have to be done more frequently. I do a 50% water change once a week for my 6 gallon, and it has the whole set up. I'd do at least a 50% water change every 2-3 days. ): If possible, invest in a bigger tank, because frequent water changes can stress your fish out.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #18 
JamieTron

some bettas are just inactive in general I have two males that swim like crazy and another that just sits on the bottom a lot :) I think he should be fine! If you are concerned you could just continue to keep an eye on him and look for signs of illness
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #19 
dr2b

First of all, I agree with what is being said - 1 gallon is way toooooo small for a betta. 2-2.5 gallons is definitely recommended. Second, how did you cycle a 1 gallon? Once again as mentioned before - I too have heard it is hard to cycle anything smaller than 5 gallons. And to answer your original question, my betta does lay on the bottom of the tank resting and will randomly dart around. Flair is usually hanging around the bottom or in his cave if no one is in the room.

Oh and I'd be doing more frequent water changes on a 1 gallon tank also.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I read that you can cycle a small tank but that it's hard to KEEP it cycled and stable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote