Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #1 
AlexXx

cloudy cycle?

Alright so my 10 gal tank with Desmond in it has been set up for about 10-13 days, i have not done a water change yet. It got cloudy after a day or to then clear as can be. Now all of a sudden it got MAD cloudy, like wow, looks awful. I checked the ammonia immediately when i saw it and still reads 0. Ive been checking every other day. Should i do a lil water change?
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #2 
DieselJunki

It might be a bacterial bloom. If this tank is still newly setup I would be checking params every day to make sure you catch the ammonia and nitrites from rising to fast. But it seems you have it under control with every other day checking which is fine. When I cycle a tank I check params everyday and even if all looks fine still do a partial water change. But that's just me =] everyone's method is a little different.
DieselJunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #3 
Rohland

alex also dont add corydoras like your lfs said in your other post. They dont do well with bad water quality, or unstable water quality.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #4 
AlexXx

Ya im not adding anything. I want to divide it already, i feel so bad for my DT who is in a beer pitcher. I got him before i realized how long a cycle would take haha.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

:P Haha, that's why I just use Nutrafin Cycle, cause it's beneficial bacteria in a bottle and you add it straight to your filter. It also apparently allows immediate introduction of fish, but I've always waited a bit with the filter going, tested and than added fish.

I've never had a problem with it and it's so much faster than having to wait days for the bacteria to establish themselves naturally. Whenever I do a water change, I add a bit more to insure optimum levels of beneficial bacteria.

Cycling with fish just seems like such a hassle >.<;;
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #6 
AlexXx

hmmm, well ill have to do that for my sorority when i have money, and space for it! i hope this cloudyness is ok! desmond seems fine, no stress still building some bubble nests.