Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 
nisoJ

Exclamation Please help, little betta is really sick

Hey guys,
I recently bought a new tank heater for my betta. I just followed the directions on the box. It's cold where I live and he was always getting bloated so I thought it would help him be more comfortable. However, he's been getting really sluggish. At first I thought the warm water was just cozier or something. BUT He's spending a lot of time sleeping at the bottom, coming only up for a breath before drifting back down to the bottom. He's kind of pale too and his eyes are much darker than usual. I don't know what's going on, he's really scaring me. Maybe something is leaking from the heater? It is new, and I am so stupid that I didn't think to soak it before using it in his tank first....but I don't know!! Is that a thing? Does that happen? Oh God, he's getting pale I don't know what to do
I changed maybe 1/4 of his water just now....please help!
He has a 2 gallon tank and the heater is supposed to keep the temp at 78+or- 2 degrees. I feed him the betta food made from brine shrimp no flakes or anything dumb like that. His bowl is near a window....

Last edited by nisoJ; 10-21-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: additional info
nisoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #2 
bluefishy75

Do you have a thermometer in the tank so you can tell if the heater is working properly?
bluefishy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #3 
nisoJ

no...do you think it might be too hot in there?
Old 10-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #4 
hollyk

It might be too hot. I would take the heater out, run out and get a thermometer if possible (they're usually less than $2) and then try again. I also would put the heater in and turn it on when your betta is out of the tank. Unfortunately, I've heard of too many bettas being electrocuted by new heaters. It hasn't happened to me, but it does happen. Good luck and keep us posted!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #5 
nisoJ

ok, just took it out and changed a little more of the water. he's looking a tiny bit less pale and a little more responsive.
also, do you guys know what it means when his main pectoral fins aren't fanned out but kind of shrunken a little into strips? sorry that's a bad description but they literally look like an asian han fan that has been collapsed
Old 10-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #6 
bluefishy75

I would recommend a thermometer for inside the tank, not the strips that stick to the outside. Those strips aren't all that accurate. And it sounds like his fins are a little clamped. Could be stress. Good luck!
bluefishy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #7 
MyBettaJack

Make sure you test the water for ammonia. How many times a week are you changing his water? I agree with the thermometer suggestions. What type of heater did you get? Test the water and if it's fine, you can start ruling out other things....good luck! Hope he gets better.
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #8 
Viva

It seems like he was most likely too warm...what is the wattage of your heater? Most heaters that promise that temp range are at least 25watts which is way too much power for such a small tank. I would recommend a 7.5watt Hydor heater and definitely a thermometer. It is very hard to keep a small tank at the correct, stable temperature.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 
nisoJ

I change all of his water once every 5 days. I know it's better to do daily changes but I'm a college student barely making it. The heater is a submersible one--it's kind of elongated with a clear tube in the middle part of it with the heating material inside and then a rubbery cap on the end. It's 50 watts and I know that's a lot but it's the only one the store had :/
Old 10-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #10 
MyBettaJack

50wt is WAY too powerful and can easily kill a fish in small bowl. I understand not putting him in a tank in your circumstances, although that's always best. I wrap christmas lights around my 1.5 gallon bowl and it works PERFECT. Keeps it at a steady 78. Try it until you can get a 7.5wt heater.
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, heater, sick beta