Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 
hollyk

In that case, if possible and allowed by the place you're living, I would get a bigger tank. They're not that much more expensive than a smaller heater, which you would need for a smaller tank. Walmart has 10 gallon complete setups for about $30. That might be good for you for multiple reasons- you could cycle a 10 gallon tank, and then do just weekly partial water changes. The bigger the tank, the longer it takes to get dirty. Obviously, you do still need to clean it frequently, but not as frequently as a tiny tank. It also would be easier to maintain a stable temperature. Your betta might (probably would) be happier in a bigger tank with more room to move. Otherwise, you'd probably have to buy a smaller heater anyways- I really think that a 50 watt is too much, and the reason for your trouble. That heater might be made to keep the temp at 78-80*, but that would be for a bigger tank. My guess is the tank got too warm.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #12 
hollyk

If a bigger tank wouldn't work, here's one smaller heater. Maybe you could post the 50 watt on the classifieds here or put it on eBay? I don't know if a store would let you return it if it was used, but someone would likely buy it if it was only used for a day. http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Hea...sh+tank+heater
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #13 
hollyk

Here are some others. The ones I use are no longer made, sadly, as I love them. Read the reviews and maybe others here have advice on what their favorite is...

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Prof...sh+tank+heater

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-BettaT...sh+tank+heater
Old 10-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #14 
xjenuhfur

I have a 2.5gal on my desk in my dorm. I use a heater like this one for it: like this one.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #15 
MyBettaJack

I was using the hydor 7.5 slim for a 1.5 gallon bowl and it was getting water WAY too hot. Like 92-93. I took it back and got replacement thinking it was defective. It wasn't. I stopped using that model because I couldn't watch the temp 24/7. Just watch the heaters closely because they can and DO easily reach 10 degrees above room temp. I don't recommend that one, but hollyK has given you some to choose from. Good luck!
MyBettaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #16 
nisoJ

that's a good idea, I'm def not putting this thing back in. He's still sluggish and I'm noticing his other fins are shredded--he's def stressed :'( I'm going now to get a test kit for the water
nisoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #17 
nisoJ

his fins are still clamped, he's sluggish, and his eyes are looking scary and still kind of pale...what should I do in the mean time? is there anything I can do to make him better?
nisoJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #18 
Viva

Well he is probably stressed from both the extreme high temperature and now the stress of going to a lower temperature. There is really nothing you can do other than maybe add in a little API Stress Coat to help him relax a little. The Christmas light idea is a great idea and I would have never thought of that...like I said small bodies of water are very hard to keep at stable temperatures because, well, they are so small and can heat up/lose heat quickly. An analogy would be comparing the temperature of a pond to the temperature of a large lake in the beginning of summer. Also they don't seem to make heaters that are for anything less than 3 - 5 gallons which is crazy because they constantly sell betta tanks that are smaller than that. It's all a conspiracy in my mind...they sell these things so a betta will live a few months and then die so you'll go back and get another one or more supplies.

Last edited by Viva; 10-21-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #19 
hollyk

My only guess was also Stress Coat. I think the rapid temp changes have him freaked out, and I don't know what else to do right now, except adding Stress Coat avoid stressing him as much as possible until he begins to recover. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #20 
Viva

Give me a good hiding place and perhaps cover his tank up so he isn't stressed by the outside movements.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, heater, sick beta