Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #1 
iheartmyfishies

Question Tank Under 100 Dollars?

Hi! I'm new to the betta experience. (Bernard is my first betta! So excited!) and I though this looked like a helpful site when it came to keeping bettas. Anyways! I am in the market for a good quality betta tank for under 100 dollars. Preferably a ten gallon give or take. I heard that Eclipse is a good brand but they seem expensive. Are they worth it? I also saw a 60 dollar ten gallon starter kit by Aqueon at Petsmart. Is this a good one? I don't know really. I'm a novice when it comes to fishkeeping. Any suggestions?
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #2 
AlexXx

Go to walmart they have 36 dollar starter kits for a 10 gal, comes with net, filter, hood, lights, everything! all u need is a small heater, depending on your locals climate. I live in Florida, no need for a heater so far! I got my starter kit for freakin 50 bux at pet supermarket, i kicked myself for not checking walmart before... Everything seems signficantly cheaper their. When i get my 20-29 gall, can u can bet ill get it at walmart!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 AM   #3 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
Go to walmart they have 36 dollar starter kits for a 10 gal, comes with net, filter, hood, lights, everything! all u need is a small heater, depending on your locals climate. I live in Florida, no need for a heater so far! I got my starter kit for freakin 50 bux at pet supermarket, i kicked myself for not checking walmart before... Everything seems signficantly cheaper their. When i get my 20-29 gall, can u can bet ill get it at walmart!
That was going to be my suggestion
Also for substrate you can buy coloured marbles, or gravel however it can be expensive. I recommend sand. Just ordinary play sand from Home Depot. $5 for a 50lbs bag. Its overkill I know, but best deal around. The rest could be used to sprinkle in your driveway during the winter, (People from warm climates will not understand). Or make a sand box, or even save it for when you get more fish tanks!

Just wash it and wash it. If you think its clean wash it again for another hour. I washed my sand for about 3 hours.
I washed for an hour filled my tank it was so dirty. So I had to drain my tank, take out all the sand, and wash it all again for two hours this time, swirling the sand in the bucket with the hose. Draining when it got full. Decorations can be fun, just make sure its non-toxic and doesnt have sharp edges that can tear bettas fins.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Yep!! Go to walmart!!! They have very cheap plastic plants too! Also, you can divide the 10 gallon tank you get, if you want. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #5 
iheartmyfishies

Great! I'll check out WalMart once I feel better. I have a cold. So I'm confined to my room as of now. I'm just watching Bernard swim around. :]
Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #6 
BabblingFish

rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse

and conditioner too...
BabblingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #7 
iheartmyfishies

Hahaha... wait what? XD
Old 09-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #8 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmyfishies View Post
Great! I'll check out WalMart once I feel better. I have a cold. So I'm confined to my room as of now. I'm just watching Bernard swim around. :]
I watch my fishies when I'm sick too!! :) With 7, my room is pretty full of life!!! hahaha!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:56 PM   #9 
Rohland

he was refering to rinse you sand if you are using that.
Also make sure you use water conditioner.
However im pretty sure you already knew that seeing you are already keeping ish.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #10 
MikeyG

Use pool filter sand and there's no need to rinse it.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, betta, eclipse, tank