Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #1 
for the kids

Unhappy Help saving new beta

So I can see that we were totally oblivious to what is needed to properly care for beta. We just purchased 2 betas along with 2 separate 1 gallon tanks. We were told to be sure to purchase the conditioning drops and the pellets for food. We filled the tank and let it run overnight for around 13 hours. We released the fish into their new homes this morning and they seemed happy with their new surroundings. My husband stopped in home to check on them, one is down on the bottom and not moving. We are pretty sure he is dead. The other is barely moving and is down at the bottom.

I can see that we need to get the ph level test kit, a heater, a bigger tank, etc. We weren't properly prepared.

But, can we save the other fish? Please help in any way that you can!
for the kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #2 
kelly528

I'd say a heater is one of the most essential things for keeping a betta healthy. It is really hard to heat a 1g tank without cooking it (most heaters are just too powerful), but even if you can get your hands on a heater and a thermometer, he should get by in a bucket (with somewhere to hide, of course) until you can source out a suitable tank for him. Keep the tank at 82 degrees once you get a heater-- it will help him heaps. By keeping his water heated and clean, providing a hiding space and keeping him in dark conditions, you should be able to buy yourself some more time.

Also try treating his water with aquarium salt and stress-coat--- they are the duct-tape of fishkeeping! They will elevate his electrolytes and stimulate his slime coat... this is what you want when your betta's water is too cold because they are so susceptible to disease in such conditions.

PS. A divided 5 gallon tank would make an economical choice for your kids' fish in the future... you will only have to buy 1 heater, filter and thermometer as opposed to heating and filtering two tanks separately.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #3 
for the kids

Thanks, I am going to give it a shot-those poor fish
Old 09-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #4 
AlexXx

Did u acclimatize them to the water? or did u just toss them in? the water temps might have been different and could have shocked them both to death....
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #5 
for the kids

I did just "toss" them in. Another hard lesson learned! I kept the other guy alive until about 5:30 this morning. The water temp was at 75 which wasn't quite warm enough. When we decide to get more, I am planning on getting a larger tank, along with a heater, testing the PH levels. Is there anything else that I should do to avoid this huge disaster in the future?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry you lost your fish! Welcome to FishForum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #7 
Maryrox247

Welcome to FishForum. i would do what kelly said and i would also recomend having some aquarium salt handy ( NOT table salt) that way if your betta(s) ever get sick you can have something to help them recover. see neenjar's article " How to give a salt bath". other than that and of course acclimating i think your good to go. By the way, i'm sorry about your lost fish! R.I.P
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #8 
BabblingFish

bettas can be pretty hardy but yea, sudden temp changes and unconditioned water is a little rough on their systems.

u usually want to gradually introduce them to the tank's water by mixing it first.

also, if you are unfamiliar with starting up a new tank check out this web page.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
BabblingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:40 AM   #9 
BabblingFish

and yea, aquarium salt has helped my tank out a great deal... along with Kordon's NovAqua+ and AmQuel+ as conditioners.

my betta tank is a little over a month old and is going strong... just finished the cycling process I think, according to my water testing.
BabblingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #10 
AlexXx

Id say they died because you did not acclimatize them, the temp was probably to drastically different and it was to much of a shock to them. Float the cup in the top of the water for a good amount of time first, that's what i always do.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote