Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #31 
BabblingFish

remember to RINSE RINSE RINSE and I usually give everything a good dose of water conditioner on top of that.

also, I do not recommend using an accelerator chemical to make cycling faster. a 55 gallon tank should take awhile to cycle properly. And remember that certain ammonia and nitrate levels will change during different parts of the cycling process.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php

this web page is very accurate to how to properly cycle a tank... I strongly recommend learning as much from it as you can with a tank that large.
BabblingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #32 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabblingFish View Post
remember to RINSE RINSE RINSE and I usually give everything a good dose of water conditioner on top of that.

also, I do not recommend using an accelerator chemical to make cycling faster. a 55 gallon tank should take awhile to cycle properly. And remember that certain ammonia and nitrate levels will change during different parts of the cycling process.

Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches

this web page is very accurate to how to properly cycle a tank... I strongly recommend learning as much from it as you can with a tank that large.
I think she knows to wash the sand already. Also water conditioner is obvious because she is keeping and breeding bettas.

Also its not a chemical to make cycling faster. That would be something like using ammonia to start the cycle. This Seachem Stability adds beneficial BACTERIA to the tank, so you dont have to wait as long. Also many members have used this product with great results. I've said it before Byron added over 100 fish to his 115 gal aquarium in one day after a problem. With no deaths.

The product is to start the cycle for you. So instead of waiting sometimes 3 weeks to finally get an ammonia reading and the bacteria growing in your aquarium, it will start it right away. This doesn't mean its an instant cycle. So you still need to watch your parameters and not put all the fish in the aquarium all at once.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #33 
Vikki81207

Yep I know what to do. Actually I found something to put the tank on, and I'm super excited!! Now I just need money for the Stability and to make dividers, so it may be a couple weeks still before it's up and running. But I'm so happy I have something to put it one now.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #34 
Vikki81207

I might be able to set it up soon! I'm going shopping for some stuff this weekend I hope. Hopefully I'll be getting that stuff to help it cycle. =D I'm so happy.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #35 
CodeRed

I share your excitement! Just one more month before I can start putting mine together (:
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm excited for both of you!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #37 
Calmwaters

Yippie a big tank! You are going to have so much fun! I am so excited for you I was in your shoes when I got my 44 gallon. LOL
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #38 
Kim

Yay!! Have tons of fun with your new tank!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:25 PM   #39 
Vikki81207

Thanks! It is very exciting!!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #40 
Vikki81207

Can somebody give me the link for the bottle thing that slows down the current for a filter?? I haven't set up the tank yet, but I'm sure the filter will probably be too powerful for the babies and adults. So I wanted to get the whole thing ready just to be on the safe side. Thanks