Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 AM   #1 
jemma21

Exclamation could my fish be depressed?

i have had my betta for 4 days now and all he does is float at the top of the water with his fins 'clumped' together and he wont eat. the temp is fine its at 76-78f i am going to change his water tonight as its a bit murky from the gravel in the tank.

pics are in this thread.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=28957

does he look ok to you?

im so sorry for all the questions
jemma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #2 
jemma21

can anyone help??
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #3 
iheartmyfishies

Try raising the temp a few more degrees and see if he'll eat anything. He might be in shock of coming into a new home. Just give him some time. :]
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #4 
jemma21

after i cleaned him out i think his bottom fin got caught in the net and that has now split! i have given him a salt bath and will do again tomorrow, i was also going to buy API stress coat and see if that works.

i hope he will be ok
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #5 
iheartmyfishies

I use a brine shrimp net because it's soft and it so fine that the fins cannot be torn. Also you could use a gravel vacuum. That way you don't need to remove him unless you're doing a 100% water change (which I don't recommend).
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #6 
jemma21

i dont have a filter because the tank is only 2.3 gallons, so should i be doing 100% water changes every week?!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #7 
jemma21

what would you say is the best way to reat torn/split fins? i went to the pet store to day and they recommended using melafix which i have used today and was recommended to use for 7 days, and then do a 25% water change.

i also brought a filter but the current is way to strong so that has to be switched off, but the water sees murky/cloudy. what can i do about that?

i am planning on getting a bigger tank at the weekend.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #8 
Kim

I would not use melafix since I have known it to have bad side effects for bettas. The main ingredient melaluca can actually effect their labrynth organ...I remember there was a link floating around somewhere a while ago to a good article on that but I don't remember where I got it.

For a 2.3 gallon tank I'm thinking you'll have to do 100% water changes at least twice a week. At first you'll have to test a lot to get it right. The 100% water changes aren't stressful if done right (water is from the same source and the same temperature) and are necessary for an uncycled tank.

As for the rip in the fins, I would use a dose of aquarium salt (probably 1 tsp for a tank that size) and see if it will heal on it's own. If it should get worse then I recommend Jungle Fungus Clear. Just keep in mind that bad water quality is the worst thing that can happen, so you may have to modify the med schedule if it calls for less frequent water changes than your tank needs.

As for the filter, it won't help unless the tank is cycled. I would hold off using it until you get a bigger tank and if it is too strong you can baffle it. Murky/cloudy water means you need a water change, but the water should really be changed before it gets cloudy.

I also agree that you should raise the temp a few degrees to at least 78. I keep mine all at 80 and they love it.

I hope this helps ;)
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #9 
Kim

Here is a must read link on the aquarium cycle.

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3738

This will help you understand exactly what is going on in your tank and even people with uncycled tanks should have a basic knowledge of the nitrogen cycle.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM   #10 
jemma21

i ahve had to a 1/3 water change tonight the water was cloudly once again, i tink it has something to do with the gravel.

i tested the water after i had done the water change and am a little concerned the amonnia reading was 0, the nitrite reading was between 0 - 0.25, and the nitrate reading was between 0 - 5.0. are these safe enough??