Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #1 
Betta11456

Unhappy Sick Betta losing color in fins after fin rot

I am a little new to bettas but I just have a regular classic all blue and black betta in a well kept 7.5 gallon tank. Recently he's had issues with fin rot, which ive given him two treatments with Pimafix to help cure and hes all but good now, just a little raggety at the fins, but i think (hope) it just needs to heal now. But i noticed in the tips of his fins that they are turning grayish and he also has a spot under his head of the gray. I don't think its velvet, but im deciding weither i should give him another treatment. Threre are two snails and a couple tiny shimps in there as well. Help??
Betta11456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It depends on how dark the grey is, if it's a light grey, almost white then that is most likely fin regrowth! That's good, that means he's healing. Also, you realize that PimaFix is meant for fungal infection not bacterial as fin rot usually is? I suggest doing some frequent water changes to his tank to keep his water nice and healthy. Usually fish only get fin rot if their water is bad, like high ammonia and stuff.

Do you have a testing kit to test your ammonia and pH levels?

The grey that is under his head is just from stress. Betta's and most other fish will lose their color when they are under stress or don't like something and you'll see a change of color. Usually they get dull so a blue Betta would almost turn brown-ish with two black stripes going down it's side, those are stress stripes which indicate what they sound like they do; stress. And then once he's feeling better, he'll color up again. But the grey underneath is very normal for most Betta's, even if they aren't much stressed.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray fins, gray patch, sick beta