Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2009, 11:42 PM   #1 
MikeyG

From 1.5 to 5 to 10, good grief!

Some of you remember that I got an ugly betta female and a 1.5G tank. After finding this forum, I read that it was too small and a bit cruel, so I went and got a 5G and ordered a few pygmy cories. Turns out that a 5G is two small for the combo, so I went back to Petco for a 10G.

I also got 4 lil live plants, I'm using pool filter sand (for the tiny cories) and I have Spongebob decor on the way. I'll post pics when Bikini Bottom is all put together next week.

The darned cheap filter they put with the 10G buffeted her around like a plane in turbulence, so I took it out and put the Tetra 3i filter that was in her 1.5G. Do you guys think that will be OK, or should I ge a bigger one? She seems pretty sensitive to currents.

I do know that changing the filter to the tiny one has helped...once I did she started swimming around the top, and at the moment she is near the bottom checking out the plants.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #2 
MikeyG

Oh, and I will be putting the 5G to use...while I was at Petco I ran across a cute pearlish-colored male, so Whitey (not an imaginative name, I know) is coming to work with me. Now if I can just find cherry shrimp.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I don't think those little filters would be good for the 10 with the corys in there too. Maybe try an Aquaclear? I have an Aquaclear 30 in my 16 gallon and the flow is adjustable. I have it at the lowest setting. You could maybe get an aquaclear 20?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

The adjustable filters are a good way to go for Bettas (they aren't the best swimmers so filters do knock them around a bit).
Another route is aquaculture brand filter (I believe that is what it is) I found it at Walmart for 10 bucks and it's for 5-15 gallons so it can work on both your 5 and 10 gallon tanks. You'd have to modify it some, but it is still cheaper then the pricier pumps.
To modify I do this:
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php

and I put these in the intake tube.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752987

It slows the flow for all my Bettas just fine. :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #5 
Kim

I'd just use a baffle because honestly it's hard to find ANY filter big enough for a 10 gal that is ok for bettas.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #6 
misstephaniexxx

i have the generic topfin filter that came in my 10g kit... my boy likes to play in the filter current.
he's such a dork
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote