Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #11 
andakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohland View Post
I read somewhere that the transhippers are located in Ontario and it would only be like $10-15 for them to send it to you. Don't know if its priority or not.
here is how i think trans-shipping works. someone correct me if im wrong.

many of the thai breeders on aquabid are friends/acquaintances. one person there gathers all of the fish sold and ships them to the trans-shipper's home in bulk to cut down cost. from there, the trans-shipper bares all of the shipping cost. again, correct me if im wrong.

you now have to obtain the fish from the trans-shipper directly. unfortunately there are only two main trans-shippers in canada and theyre both in ontario. it costs ~$15 to ship up to three fish from the trans-shipper's home to anywhere in ontario. i would imagine it would be about $20 to BC.

but theres a catch! for every fish imported, you have to pay a customs fee + an import fee. the import fee is the shipping cost from thailand to trans-shipper's home. the customs fee isn't a real cost to the trans-shipper. it's the profit they make. the trans-shippers are licenced to import live animals. once the package arrives to canada, they claim the packages from the post office and clear any legal work. in the end, it will cost ~$12 for the (import + customs) per fish. at the end of the day, the trans-shipper profits a few dollar per fish.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #12 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
here is how i think trans-shipping works. someone correct me if im wrong.

many of the thai breeders on aquabid are friends/acquaintances. one person there gathers all of the fish sold and ships them to the trans-shipper's home in bulk to cut down cost. from there, the trans-shipper bares all of the shipping cost. again, correct me if im wrong.

you now have to obtain the fish from the trans-shipper directly. unfortunately there are only two main trans-shippers in canada and theyre both in ontario. it costs ~$15 to ship up to three fish from the trans-shipper's home to anywhere in ontario. i would imagine it would be about $20 to BC.

but theres a catch! for every fish imported, you have to pay a customs fee + an import fee. the import fee is the shipping cost from thailand to trans-shipper's home. the customs fee isn't a real cost to the trans-shipper. it's the profit they make. the trans-shippers are licenced to import live animals. once the package arrives to canada, they claim the packages from the post office and clear any legal work. in the end, it will cost ~$12 for the (import + customs) per fish. at the end of the day, the trans-shipper profits a few dollar per fish.
Some breeders only charge $5 i believe.. To ship to B.C. is $50..
Talked to a transhipper the other day.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #13 
andakin

$50 sounds too much to send a package from ontario to BC. both canadian trans-shippers i've talked to charge the same amount. $12 per fish for customs/import. on top of that, they charge you for shipping from their home to yours.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #14 
doggyhog

Wow!!! The new pics are stunning!!! Beautiful!

BTW, I love your new icon. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #15 
andakin

thanks for the compliments. i'll admit i thought the fishies looked border line ugly when i first got them in the little bags but theyre turning out to be beautiful. i cant wait to breed again.

and ya, i really like my new avatar too. nice big frown.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #16 
doggyhog

I laugh every time I see it!!! He looks sooo mad.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #17 
iheartmyfishies

All of them are GORGEOUS! *sparkle*
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote