Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #21 
LostxinthexMusic

Go ahead and treat for the full time, it shouldn't do any harm.
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #22 
Tank Gurl

Ok, will do. It looks like she shedding slime too, is that good or bad with the meds? And again the package didnt give me any directions, how long should i leave the meds in her tank
Tank Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #23 
LostxinthexMusic

Shedding the slime coat is fine, and usually fungus clear should be used for 4 days
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #24 
Tank Gurl

Okie dokie, thank you for the help, much appreciated! =)
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #25 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Whenever something in the water is suspect, it's a good idea to do water changes to remove it.

I would start with a series of four 25% water changes. Don't add anything to the water except conditioner. Wait at least 15 minutes between each water change.

2) Jungle Fungus Clear is a good antibiotic. However, it will only treat external bacterial infections. It will not help with dropsy or pineconing.

3) Medications are metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Therefore, medications place stress on these organs. A fish that is bloated or pineconing is already having trouble eliminating fluids and wastes. You need to weigh the risks (kidney damage) against the benefits (curing a potentially fatal disease).

If you decide to medicate them, they need an antibiotic that can treat INTERNAL bacterial infections, not external ones. Kanaplex (kanamycin) is one of the few antibiotics that can treat internal infections. I don't see pineconing in the photos that you posted. However, if you are sure they are pineconing -- if you decide to treat with antibiotics, this would be the one that I recommend. However, before using an antibiotic, I would try to rule out other conditions (such as parasites).

Also, if there is an active infection that is affecting all of your fish, try to quarantine each one, and its equipment/supplies. Cross contamination can spread bacteria or parasites among your tanks.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 10-24-2013 at 09:27 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #26 
Tank Gurl

Thank you for all the info littleblue!

Im surprised that fungus clear doesnt help dropsy, it says that it does treat it on the package.

I have tap water aging over night to do 25% water changes on all my tanks tomorrow. I will do the four 25% WC on the the tanks with the medicine in it since it won't do anything for the dropsy.

I will look into the kanaplex you mentioned if her condition doesn't change. Someone told me to use epsom salt to eliminate excess fluids instead of AQ salt, but she's still not bloated. should i still do a salt bath and how do i do it?

What kind of symptoms should i look for, for a parasite?

i have them QT'd. I may have possibly infected other fish (if there is an infection to pass), because i only have one net. I know, not good, but im broke atm and I wont use that net again.

Im sorry for all the questions, I just picked this hobby back up. When i had bettas as a teen, disease and medicine wasn't on my mind, it was just, "hey i have a fish, i feed the fish everyday, change its water twice a week and if it dies it dies"...ya know. But now being older and more aware, especially growing fonder of the hobby, Its all i can think about, the health and well being of my bettas. Its a little stressful, especially when i dont have the right tools to do the job correctly. So i appreciate everything form everyone on this forum!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #27 
Tank Gurl

OK everyone, Trinette is still pine coning and i can not afford kanaplex. Is this a lost cause for me, is she just going to suffer because i can't afford it? What should i do? I feel terrible...

But it seems the fungus clear helped with my CT Figgis' regrowth on his rays, i can see little clear pieces growing back. It also seems to be helping the fin melt on my HM Cyril (shhh, he's my fave betta) who i though was showing signs on dropsy, still not 100% sure on him tho. It also helped with Woodhouses septicemia, the red line i saw is now gone, his face is red, but i believe that's his coloring.

All of this happened, i believe, because if the drinking water i was mixing my tap with, I did not age the water for at least 24 hours, was aging for only 2-3 hours, apparently i havn't been doing my WC correctly and i may have overdosed with the IAL extract.

So knowing all of this now, i can hopefully repair any damage i have done.

Everyone is getting water changes today. If anyone has any advice please let me know.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #28 
Tank Gurl

Lightbulb Added info

So ive just been going over things that i could've done wrong to cause Trinette to get dropsy.

I had a mini terracotta pot in her tank, just a regular pot you would buy for plants. I washed and scrubbed the heck out of it before using it.

Do you think that may have added some kind of chemical to the water causing these issues?

I probably wont put it in any of my tanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #29 
LostxinthexMusic

I'm not surprised the Fungus Clear helped with all the other stuff. It cured my guy of septicemia and very persistent fin rot; it's quite an effective medicine - for external problems. Because your fish aren't bloating, and the pineconing is very very slight (it typically looks like this), I'm not inclined to believe they have dropsy (or anything that might be causing it).

However, if you washed that terracotta pot with soap before you put it in Trinette's tank, that may have caused a problem. I've never read anything about the effects of fish coming in contact with soap, just that you're supposed to avoid it. Maybe that was the problem?

Overall, since no one's gotten worse, I wouldn't worry. Keep in mind, because fish have scales, their skin will have a bit of a textured look to it. This does not necessarily mean pineconing! The picture you had in your first post looks just the same, texture-wise, as my guy. I really think your fish are fine, but just to double-check, could you post pictures of all the fish you think are affected?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #30 
Tank Gurl

Yes it worked wonders on the other little issues my boys were having. Figgis is still making bubble nest even with the meds.

Yikes, that picture is terrible! i have seen a pictures of it before and I know it can be much worse. I guess im just taking the extra precaution, I dont want her to end up looking like that. Just bummed finding out the fungus clear doesn't actually do anything for dropsy.

I didn't wash the pot with soap, just scolding hot water and a scrubby pad. Just thought an unnatural element in the tank could have caused the issue.

Let me try to get some good pics of them and ill post in a minute. I am really hoping its just her scales and a trick of the eye. Thanks for all the help everyone! I love this forum!