Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Overstocking?

I have 4 girls in a 10 gal, planning to add one more girl later on. I want something to clean the bottom. I originally wanted ghost shrimp, but I've read here a few times that bettas can and will eat them. Gloria, my biggest, would seem ot be able to eat one.

So can i add Corys to the tank, or would it be overstocked with 5 betta girls? What od you think?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #2 
Rohland

It would be "over stocked' However keep in mind that corys are *always* on the bottom so its not exactly like the fish would have no where to swim. However corydoras are sensitive to water parameters so you would probably need to do water changes more often. I wanted to do the same thing. However I think my 10 gal will be an amazon tank. So it will contain plants and animals from the same geographic region. If you were going to put more in, I would only put 3 corydoras in. Make sure they are not the pygmy they need a minimum of 6. Or the sometimes emerald is confused with the actual emerald and it gets a little bit bigger than normal. To be safe you could always get the bronze, albino or peppered corydoras. (More common)

Also your bettas may become more territorial do to the fact there is more fish in their space. Which could lead to havoc.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Hmmm, I guess I'll buy a few shrimp then and pray that they don't turn into prey. And a nice meal for the girls if they do, I guess.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #4 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Hmmm, I guess I'll buy a few shrimp then and pray that they don't turn into prey. And a nice meal for the girls if they do, I guess.
at least it wont be a too expensive meal i guess.
If you really wanted to add more fish I would suggest 3 corydoras.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote