Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #1 
rmarkham

Exclamation I was that girl at Petco today.. My first "real" rescue. I really hope he makes it :(

Hi guys..

I went into Petco today to get some new aquatic plants. I'm totally re-doing a 5 gallon tank with all new plants, new gravel and filter media from my 40G .. new everything....

I went into Petco with the sole purpose of getting aquatic plants. I didn't even [i]want[i] a new betta today. I wanted to cycle my new tank first, and find the perfect new betta.

Well, it must have been past the day when these poor things should have had their water changed.. Some of them weren't doing very well, and had dirty water.

I told myself I would look around, and if one stood out to me and won my heart that I'd take them home tonight, and keep them in a KK until the new tank is ready.

I had made my rounds and saw some stunning fish, none of them won my heart though. Not until I walked over by the sink area and saw two cups sitting there. My heart sank.. I knew they couldn't be there for a good reason. One had a dead baby betta (a bright pretty white one) and the other cup had a male. At first the only thing I saw was all the black gunk at the bottom of the cup.. then I saw a little fish body with tattered at the top. I picked it up, expecting to see another dead fish.. but I saw movement! I believe the cup was labeled double tail male. The fish in that cup was pale, barely breathing and had very tattered and rotted fins. His little body was so skinny... I was appalled.

I had to say something. I couldn't leave this fish, he needed to be helped. All of them needed to be helped.. I wish I had more room.

At first glance I thought he was too far gone.. that nothing I could do for him would be enough. That thought quickly faded because I knew that anything I could do for him was more than he'd get at that store in that hell cup.

He does tend to rest on his side, but I'm hoping that clean warm water will help him a bit..

I still had to get my plants, so I called someone over. I told the first person that this fish is in deplorable shape and I want to take him as an adoption. He immediately got his manager.

At first he said that they change the water a few time a week, that he won't sell me a sick fish. I explained how they should never have let it get that bad in the first place. I told him I felt it was animal cruelty. He said they treat sick fish, or send them back the the vendor and that they would send this guy back with the vendor tomorrow. He said he gives sick bettas Betta Fix. I was holding back so much anger at this point.. I calmly told him that I've been keeping these guys for a few years, I know how to treat a sick fish, and that a fish as sick and damaged as this one would die in transit back to the vendor.
He was very adamant about not letting me have him. Good thing I'm stubborn!

I also have a pharmacy on hand.. I have Triple Sulfa, Erthromycin, Kanaplex, General Cure, Fungus Cure, Prazipro, Coppersafe on hand.

He finally caved, and gave me this poor sick little boy as an adoption. And I got some plants.

I don't know what to do for this fish.. I have him in about a gallon of water with aquarium salt, Prime, and Kordon's fish protector. He has colored up quite a bit since he's been in warmer water and I'm hoping this is a good sign.

I hope he makes it, because when my tank is all set up it will be a great forever home for him.

Here he is! I had his bag floating in the QT tank while the water heated up so the temperature wouldn't shock him. I swear he colored up a bunch! At the store he was mostly a gray with light red. I hope this is a good sign!

Close up on his tail fin (fins?)

Close up on his mouth, not sure if his lip is like that, or rotted off

He's resting on the heater, I also have a silk plant in there for him to rest on
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
Sakura8

That part on his lip looks like a pretty bad ammonia burn so the Fish Protector and AQ salt should really help with that.

I've also read that meth blue is one of the best treatments for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning so maybe tomorow, after he's settled in, he can have a bath. After seeing the pics, he doesn't look like he needs any meds, just some TLC.

He's going to be a handsome boy when you get him all well. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
That part on his lip looks like a pretty bad ammonia burn so the Fish Protector and AQ salt should really help with that.

I've also read that meth blue is one of the best treatments for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning so maybe tomorow, after he's settled in, he can have a bath. After seeing the pics, he doesn't look like he needs any meds, just some TLC.

He's going to be a handsome boy when you get him all well. :)

I'll do the meth blue bath tomorrow after work!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 
Elvette Emmett

He doesn't look like a DT to me, looks more like a tailsplit which wouldn't be surprising after that story, I wish you the best of luck on helping him
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #5 
Chachi

He's lucky you were so persistent!! I bet he'll do great with you!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #6 
BettaCulture

Some TLC should bring him back. Is he eating?
BettaCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

He's definitely a DT... You can see the elongated dorsal fin clearly.

Ial, and warm, clean water should perk him right up.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #8 
beautiful Betta

well done for saving him. He looks a lot better than I thought he would after the description of his living conditions in his cup. Good luck with him although I am sure you do not need it, he will be stunning once he recovers.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #9 
Tank Gurl

Good on you for taking him in. The 2 Petcos near me, the bettas living conditions are heart wrenching, had to stop going in. Glad you saved him. I cant wait to see updates of this little dude. =)
Tank Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #10 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCulture View Post
Some TLC should bring him back. Is he eating?

I haven't tried yet... He's currently sitting at the top of the qt tank, near the heater. I'm not sure if he'll eat tonight.. I'll try feeding him tomorrow.

I will probably soak my NLS pellets in vita-chem and garlic guard to make them softer for him.