Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #1 
PrincessBetta

Exclamation not breeding here just had a question

I wasnt sure where i should post this question but i figured maybe it belonged here lol. Sass is gonna lay eggs soon. I dont wanna breed bettas but I am worried. I dunno how long until she lays them. Shes very fat and I see that white thing thats out under her, I forget what its called. Her tummy is also kinda white and you kinda see the eggs in her so i know shes gonna lay eggs. I was reading about breeding just because i wasnt sure when she would lay the eggs. Then I read the male squeezes them out of her. Will Sass be ok? I mean can she lay the eggs on her own without a male squeezing them from her? Also should I be feeding her the same as i have been? I have kinda cut back just cuz shes fat. I feed Dexter 2 pellets twice a day. Booger still begs for more too. Sass was getting 2 pellets twice a day but i cut back to 1 pellet twice a day for her. This past weekend i fasted her saturday and sunday. Anyways any advice would be appreciated.
PrincessBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #2 
PrincessBetta

oh heres another question i thought of. Should i risk putting Sass in with Dexter? I dont want him to harm her. But I dunno what to do. Should i just let them do this and hope for the best? I really an confused and Sass looks upset. I just dunno what to expect or what i would do with baby bettas if I let them spawn.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #3 
doggyhog

No. Don't do it. It is not a good idea.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #4 
PrincessBetta

yeah I didnt think so. I just hope Sass will lay these eggs. Is there something i can do to help her lay them? Should i be feeding her?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM   #5 
PrincessBetta

I probably should mention shes been like this for at least 3 weeks if not longer.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #6 
DragonFish

I don't believe theres any reason to be worried or panic if shes just plump with eggs...thats a good thing, it means she happy and well cared for I'd say She may drop them, and she may not...I'm not sure, but it won't hurt her if she doesn't
If your worried about her being bloated, you can fast her for a couple days...but if its just eggs, you can continue feeding her as usual
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #7 
PrincessBetta

ok thanks for replying. I kept thinking if she doesnt pass them she will die. But if shes alright either way then thats good. Puts my mind at ease now. Glad shes happy :) She keeps stareing at me silly girl. I hope she passes them soon. I did fast her this past weekend. Saturday and sunday, she wasnt happy with me at all lol. I normally just fast both my bettas on saturday. Lisa told me that fasting them 1 day a week is good. So i have been doing that.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Females can become eggbound and yes, it can kill them. She should pass the eggs before long. I don't think it would hurt to put her next to a male to see if it will help her pass the eggs. I think she'll either pass them or reabsorb them. Bettatalk has some info on females and eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #9 
DragonFish

O.o It can kill them? Huh, didn't know that....definitely unsettling I'll have to look into this far more....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I need to look on bettatalk more but I'm sure Faith says that it CAN kill them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote