Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 
bmaher7

Exclamation Help quick what to do fin rot!!

HELP!! My betta girl i think has fin rot. I have never dealt with this. Her tiny back fin looks like it is getting worn away like erosion. I have other new fish in the tank but they look perfectly healthy. If this is fin rot, can it spread to my other fish which are not bettas??????? How do I cure this??? After she is cured and I put her back in her tank, will she get it again??? WHAT DO I DO??? I don't have the extra money for aquarium salt. I only have regular salt in my house. I don't want to spend more money on it. What can I do!!???
bmaher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #2 
iheartmyfishies

You need to medicate your fish. You need to get either non-iodized or aquarium salt and give her a salt bath or give her some medication. (bettafix is AWESOME) There's no free magical cure. Salt is like one dollar at Walmart. Fin rot is caused by infection most likely caused by a dirty tank. Just keep it clean man.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #3 
bmaher7

Huh. I just bought this tank and cleaned it out and everything. None of the other fish are bother her. If it is fin rot, will it affect the other fish which are not bettas?
bmaher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #4 
iheartmyfishies

Fin rot in itself is not contagious but the same bacteria that caused your bettas fin rot can also infect the others if they get a scrape or cut. Yes fish other than bettas can get fin rot. I suggest you remove any ornaments with sharp edges for the time being and do frequent water changes. You can also add some medication to the clean water you're adding to the tank (melafix works the best for non-bettas IMO) Once you are certain your bettas fin rot is cured it should be safe to put the ornaments back.
iheartmyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote