Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #1 
JamieTron

Question Question about torn fins and air pumps

Hey there guys, so my betta (Ichigo) is one of my small males, anyways he has had some tail fin problems, losing large chunks. So assuming the worst I treated him with finrot medication. I noticed that did not work...

I think maybe his fins had just gotten tourn because the older betta I had previously housed in that tank had a similar issue. So with that said I have a bubbler on the bottom of the tank that seemed a bit too intense for my betta to swim...could that have possibly tour his fins? (I turned it off and they seem to be starting to actually grow back) YAY

Has anyone seen anything similar in their bettas with this kind of air pump system?
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #2 
BakaMandy

I've had my HM's fins sucked into his filter, but not with an air pump. Although they say betta fish's fins are as fragile than tissue paper, so if it's strong enough, it might be a possibility.

What kind of ornaments do you have in your tank? Because plastic plants can also reek havoc on your betta fish's fins as well :S I had one slice my betta's fin in half once...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #3 
JamieTron

ooh well I do have two plastic plants, I never thought of that before...um one is the long thin rounded ones that are supposed to look like sea grass and the other kinda has those rounded leaves. I have never seen any of the nice silky plants around...

I suppose I could try real plants...it is only 2.5 gallon, with only my betta. I guess that won't support a plant on its own...ah I can buy Nutrients :)

Thanks for the input I think maybe I will try to find some plants if my petstore has aquatic plant nutrients available. :)
Old 09-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Yeah Dx those would do the trick, especially the sea grass one. Anything with really pointed edges can snag you betta fish's long tail, I'd take at least the sea grass one out.

Because I wasn't able to find silk plants for so long, what I did for my round leaf plastic plant was trim off any excess plastic that might be potentially hazardous to their fins.

:) And if you're looking for a good plant for a small tank, look for java moss or willow moss. They're very good for bettas because it also helps neutralize nitrites.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 09-17-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #5 
JamieTron

oh okay that sounds great! I think I'll look tonight at my petstore and remove the grass one, cause he likes to go above that one a lot.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

Yeah >.<;; Mine did that too for some really weird reason...

I hope you find something! :)
Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #7 
JamieTron

Hey I bought some real plants, he loves them, he's frolicking like a little trooper ;) now lets see if his fins heal up nicely :)