Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #11 
Morguex

I had four cherry shrimp with my betta and he ate 3 of them within two days, my tank has lots of hiding spots for the shrimp and he still managed to get 3 of them.

I still have one cherry shrimp left, I think the only reason the one survived is because he gave my betta Reaper a lesson, Reaper took a run at him and the shrimp jumped out of the way at the last second and Reaper smacked his face off the rock the shrimp was resting on, he has left the shrimp alone ever since.

I swear I heard the shrimp say "wanna try that again pal" lol!!!
Morguex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #12 
Faye

@silverfang, if my betta is going to chase the shrimp. I have an extra 2.5 gallon tank I can put either the shrimp or the betta in. But I am okay if one does get eaten, that's the risk of putting all those different animals into one small tank (small as compared to their natural habitat).

@RussellTheShihTzu it's great that you still wrote all that. it makes me extra careful and hopefully the information will help out anyone who stumbles upon this thread. I think you are right about the algae on the driftwood, they've moved on to the rocks in the aquarium :)
Faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

IMO Amanos are probably the best. I housed two of them in with a fish that had been known to eat whole mealworms for about a year.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #14 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I need to clarify: I'm referring to male Bettas with long fins; not female Bettas or Plakats. The last two are much quicker than HM, OHM, etc., males.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #15 
snowflake311

I kept tiger shrimp, red cherry, crystal red, and Ammon.

The large Amanos are the best for bettas but the betta might still nip at them if they see him. Cherry ship and others will not reproduce with bettas around.

I agree shrimps and bettas do not mix unless you don't care about your shrimp.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #16 
Aryia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I've had bettas that ignored shrimp, I've had bettas who've bitten them in half with a smug die you invader die look. It all depends on the betta. Perfectly healthy, you're in my way... CHOMP. The question is are you okay with the possibility any shrimp you buy might become snacks?
I definitely have some females that are WAY more aggressive than others. A couple of them will jump half an inch to an inch out of water to try and snatch a black worm from me, I'd imagine that they'd try to go after shrimp too. Interestingly these females all came from the same seller lol

Some of my crayfish don't hide properly and are wobbly for a couple hours after molting. I'd suspect that a grown Betta can easily eat a shrimp right after it molted since the exoskeleton won't be hard. I'm not sure about shrimp, but for crayfish and crab I have to add Iodine into the water in order to ensure successful molting (They are freshwater crabs and crayfish), and they also do better in slightly brackish water. I'm not too sure if that is necessary for shrimp, and if it is, how the iodine will affect Betta.

Last edited by Aryia; 10-25-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #17 
Faye

Well, my betta is in there for about half a day and he already made one shrimp his lunch. I am now trying to save the rest before he gets to them (they're hiding). The shrimp he ate was between 2 and 3 cm long. So maybe when they reach adult size, he will leave them alone.

I didn't think he'd like the shrimp so much, they are reasonable in size, and he is a dumbo ear. But nearly as swift and the endlers.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #18 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

This is my tank housing Bettas and various inverts. If you don't have at the least this much cover and hides, it's doubtful you'll be successful; especially if you buy juvvies. JMO and experience and may not be everyone's.

PS: I care a great deal about my inverts.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #19 
Faye

my tank is pretty close to that. Only my hornwort and elodea need to fill out the back of the tank a little more. I can't find my shrimp right now anyway, because they're hidden.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #20 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

They tend to stay that way unless you have sufficient numbers or them to feel comfortable. I have a shrimp tower and lots of Cholla wood and driftwood hidden in the plants.

You might want to try Dwarf Orange Crayfish (CPO). They definitely can "stand up" to a Betta. I love mine; actually more than the shrimp. This is a good price; just got a few more for my aquarium. The only time they're vulnerable is when they molt; which is why I have Cholla wood covered in Anubis nana 'petite' as hides. They do not mess with the plants, either.

CPO also handle higher temperatures than shrimp.

These are not those blue ones you find in pet stores. Those get quite large.

Cambarellus patzcuarensis sp orange “cpo/dwarf orange crayfish” | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd