Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #1 
jaemi

I think shes dying

I am not sure what to do my betta that I have had for about a month now is very lathargic. She lays at the bottom of her tank in the gravel and comes up for air very sparingly. When she does come up for air she flops around along the top and bumps into the walls. She has no problem swimming from the bottom to the top but when she gets to the top its like shes having a seizure almost. Also she will not eat, she tried eating yesterday but she misses the food. She approaches but then somehow swims past it. I also noticed she has a small pindot sized hole in her tail but I am not sure if that was there before also it seems that her sides have changed color and are slightly reddish but not bloodly looking. Her living conditions are a 1.5 gallon unfiltered unheated tank. I was going to get her a five gallon last week but she got sick and I didn't want to stress her too much with a move. I change her water about twenty percent every three days and her tank is kept in a very warm room so the water temp never is below 70. So far I thought it may have been swimbladder so I fasted her for a few days and fed her some mashed up pea. I also have been doing twenty percent water changes every other day for the last week in hopes that fresh water would help her. I use a water conditioner and leave the water out overnight in the same room as her tank so the temperature will be the same. I also tried Bettafix incase of bacteria but no change from the bettafix or the pea I fed her. Last night I bought melafix incase it was finrot but I havn't used it yet as I wanted to seek advice from someone with a bit more knowledge on the topic
jaemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

From what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, she might be too cold. It might not be the reason for her behavior but it would certainly help to warm her up. I have 25w heaters in all of my betta tanks and have them set at 80 degrees.

Have you checked your water levels for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, ph??

Can you take a picture and post it?

I'm no expert but think you should start there. There are people on this forum who can help more than me. Good luck with your fishy.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. A gallon sized bowl needs to be changed 100% twice a week. 70 degrees is too cold. Bettas arte tropical fish and need a temperature of 75 to 80 degrees.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #4 
jaemi

I bought a new thermometer and it says her water is 75 degrees. I also bought a five gallon tank with a filter and heater but I'm concerned that if I move her to her new tank she might get worse from the stress/new environment.
I took the pH and its 7.6, I have been changing 20% of her water every day for the past four days still no improvment and she hasn't eaten in four days.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #5 
JamieTron

Does she have cataracts on her eyes??? perhaps she could have vision problems and that is why she is having trouble bumping into walls and eating???

as for the hole that could have been abrassion from any plants of decorations in the tank, or a slight case of fin rot. If it heals over fine then I say it was just a slight tear.

As Romad said above, you should check those water parameters :) they will be an easy fix if that is all that is wrong. Your water changes sound good, but like the others said full water changes for smaller tanks are best because ammonia can build up quite easily in a small water quantity. Try cleaning the gravel out when you change the water as well, the build up of feces can also increase the rate at which those harmful substances build up in your tank.

I hope your little betta feels better! Good luck! and welcome!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #6 
jaemi

I can't see anything visibly wrong with her eyes and the problem has only been for the past week. I'm still thinking it might be swim bladder. She swims to the top fine but once at the top she flops around like shes struggling to stay up. She hasn't eaten in days and I have been trying to feed her a small piece of a pea but she wont eat it.
There was nothing in her tank for her to tear her fin on no plants or decorations, I bought melafix incase it is finrot but I have never used it before and I'm still thinking its swimbladder
If she wont eat the pea what else can I try?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #7 
JamieTron

hrmm I personally have never dealt with SBD in aquarium fish, but it does seem like that could be a possibility. I would definitely keep trying the pea in case the SBD problem is a symptom of constipation. Does she have a swollen belly?

I heard you can also help her by lowering the water level making it easier for her to access oxygen.

um perhaps you should do some research, I have read that some people salt bath with aquarium salts if bettas don't eat the pea, but again, I really have never had a betta with this issue yet.

I just read that from this article http://www.petfish.net/articles/Bettas/constipation.php perhaps you should ask another member if this article is a good reference
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #8 
Lady Ivy

Do try a dry blood worm all tho is more like a treat bt it might help to give her energy and gain appetite also i would try to change her frm 2.5 gal maybe?they do better i dnt recommend small gallons. hope she gets better.
Lady Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #9 
jaemi

I bought her a larger tank that is five gallons but I'm afraid the stress of a new tank will stress her as I havn't cycled it yet. I will try lowering the water level a bit and see if that makes it easier for her and will read up on the salt baths. She has absolutly no appetite and won't eat anything for four days now.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #10 
Elena

Do a 100% water change now. Half a teaspoon of aquarium salt per one gallon of water will help. Waste accumulates quickly in such a small container. Acclimate her slowly to the new water as to not shock her with different chemistry. You probably have ammonia buildup which is at the root of all her problems. Raising the temperature will help as well.

Last edited by Elena; 09-18-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote