Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #11 
jaemi

Ok I changed her water and am going to run to the LFS in an hour or so. I read up about ammonia poisoning and her symptoms sort of sound like that could be the problem. The pH is now 7.2 and I'm going to get a kit to test for ammonia,nitrates,nitrites etc. Anything else I should be getting? I'm testing out the new heater in the five gallon tank if all goes well tonight should I introduce the heater to her 1.5 gallon tank tomorrow? Anything else I can do for her?
jaemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #12 
jaemi

I tried again to get her to eat a little bit of a pea but she wouldnt eat it. When I used the net to scoop the pea out of the water she sort of drifted to the top and is now laying at the top of the water. I have seen fish with swimbladder and maybe they were bad cases but she doesnt look like they did. She looks just like shes laying there on purpose. Not lopsided, doesnt look like shes struggling, and I'm pretty sure if I poke her she would swim back to the bottom and lay down there again.

I also noticed her gills look very silver/shiney and I didn't notice that before.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #13 
SaylorKennedy

I believe pea isn't good to feed her. It doesn't go well with their digestive track. Just stick to pellets for staple and bloodworms for treat.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #14 
jaemi

Peas are supposed to flush out her system incase of constipation induced swimbladder so they are perfectly safe to eat.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #15 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemi View Post
Peas are supposed to flush out her system incase of constipation induced swimbladder so they are perfectly safe to eat.
For most fish, yes, but I recall hearing and reading on numerous occasions that this is not so for bettas for they are carnivorous and veggies don't work well with their digestive system, as previously mentioned. If I recall correctly, Frozen Daphnia is usually whats recommended as an alternative....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #16 
jaemi

I'm not sure whats true or not all I know is if you google constipated betta almost all the links suggest feeding them a pea if you cant get daphnia. Also my LFS reccomended it and my boyfriend uses peas as a first resort with his betta and it almost always works for his fishy.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:07 AM   #17 
jaemi

Anyways that's realy not the point of my post. I don't think she has swimbladder anymore since she seems able to manage laying at the top of her tank as well as the bottom.
The point is I'm fairly certain shes going to die and I am not sure what to do next. Even if I had daphnia she won't eat it, all she does is lay at the bottom. She goes up so rarely for air I havn't actually seen her do it in days. I know shes still alive but shes hardly breathing or eating and I am not sure what to do next.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #18 
Kim

I'd say it's probably ammonia poisoning. Waste will accumulate a LOT faster than you'd think in an uncycled tank and 20% changes just don't cut it. You need full 100% water changes several times a week in a tank that size. I'd just change her water every other day and keep her nice and warm and I bet you'll see a huge improvement. You did mention cycling the new tank so here's a great article that I recommend you read:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3738
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #19 
jaemi

Thanks for the link it was very informative.

Today I got her temps tank up to 80 degrees. Checked for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH etc. everything seems to be normal but she is more lathargic than ever.

She can no longer float at the top and I havn't seen her swim up to the top for air all day. She is still alive but I'm very concerned since I havn't seen her get air from the top at all. I was afraid she might be dead and using the end of her net swirled the water a tiny bit to see if she would swim at all. She can swim but its very labored almost like she is having a seizure and she cannot maintain bouyancy at the top at all. She just swims like a mad woman and quickly sinks to the bottom where she flops on her side and just lays there.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:36 AM   #20 
jaemi

Thanks for the advice the past few days everyone. Unfortunatly Tabby passed away last night.