Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 
AnaGrim

Question Question about a dual tank for two male bettas

My roommate bought a betta today and bought a dual tank to house mine and hers. My betta has been acting odd ever since I put him in there. I just bought him about two months ago and this is my first time to own a betta. I was just wondering if I should take him out and put him in his own tank again or wait a couple of days to see if he will adjust to the screen that allows him to see the other betta. Also, this may have something to do with it. While I was transferring him to the new tank he jumped out of his bowl, which he has never attempted before and fell about four inches onto a hard surface. I quickly scooped him up in my hand and put him into his tank but I'm not sure if he is harmed or not. does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do with the new tank and also if him falling has anything to do with his behavior?
AnaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
WhitneyLin

How big is the duel tank? And if he can constantly see the other betta he is probably stressing out. Most people use dividers that aren't see through. I cant help on the falling thing, as im not sure.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 
AnaGrim

It is only a 1/2 gallon. She could not afford a bigger one. It's got little circles in the divider so it's not completely see through. I think I may just move Steve back to his old tank and let my roommate take the new tank. I need to buy Steve a bigger tank but I can't find a cheap one where I live.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Falling on a dry surface and being scooped up with dry (?) hands can damamge his slime coat, a layer of slime that protects fish against bad things in the environment. Plus it's a shock to his sytem. He needs a day or more to recover from that. Prime water conditioner or Stresscoat can help with his slime coat recovery

How big is that divided tank? If his own tank has more room. Put him in there. I fact, it's probably better to keep him in his own tank to be cared for by just you.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #5 
WhitneyLin

If its just a half gallon, thats waaaay to small for two bettas. Definitely put him back in his own tank. And if you cant afford a startup kit tank, I got a 2.5 gallon at Petco or Petsmart for $15 (and they may have a 5g for not much more money). Its just a tank though. No heater, light, or hood. But I just used plastic cling wrap over the top to keep the humid air in and to keep him from jumping out.

Plus if he can see the other betta, its gonna be stressful for him. Even if its just holes.

If it was me, i'd put him back in his own.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #6 
AnaGrim

Thank you both very much I will move Steve back to his old container.

WhitneyLin:
There is not a PETCO in the town that I live. That would probably explain why I could not find any of the material that I needed. I only found a small circle bowl that is supposedly a Betta starter kit. I'm not sure how big it is. I have just been buying BettaPro water from Walmart because I could not find any chemicals to treat the water with. I buy three bottles at a time and let them sit in my closet until I use them so they can be the same temperature as the water his bowl.

Hallyx:
I will try to go out tomorrow and buy some Stresscoat. Can I buy that from Walmart? There is not a pet store in the town I live in so if I can't buy it there then it'll have to wait a couple of days until I can get to a bigger town.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #7 
WhitneyLin

Yeah. I know how you feel. Our Petco is ...okay supplies wise (though they somehow get the most gorgeous bettas in their shipments). I have to drive about 45min away to go the Petsmart and Petco in another town. They have so much more stuff. Otherwise online is your best friend. I've been getting stuff shipped from amazon and dr foster and smith.

As for how big it is, you can always get out a cup measure and see how much fits...or just look up what you bought on Walmart.com. You need to know how much water is there so you know how much to dose water conditioner like Prime or Stress Coat.

Stress Coat wasnt available at our Walmart. I dont think they carry it.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #8 
AnaGrim

Thank you. I moved Steve back to his old tank and he seems to be doing better. I'm going to try and buy a 5 gallon tank soon and get a heater for him. I did not realize they needed a heater. I have attached a picture of the tank he is in right now. This is the tank I have had him in since I bought him about two and a half months ago.
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
blufish425

Even if all you can afford is a larger bowl for him that would be much better than what he is in. That is waaaaay too small. He is absolutely gorgeous, and deserves some swimming room :)

Bettas are also very curious creatures, they love to swim and explore. He will be much more fun to watch with a large tank and a couple of plant/decorations.
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #10 
AnaGrim

Thank you very much for your help. I hope to go to town this weekend or sometime early next week in order to get him a better aquarium. I am looking at getting the 5 gallon hawkeye from Petco and a Tetra heater. Do you think these are good choices?