Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 
Aqua Aurora

Question What do YOU use for lighting planted tanks?

Currently I am cycling an Evolve4 I picked up on clearance, not really like it too much, but that's not the point of this thread... I am trying to revitalize some swords in there right now using the stock light and I haven't been able to determine yet if the light qualifies as a "medium light" for plant growth, some people claim to grow medium light plants under the stock lamp, some say its too weak. I may end up replacing it but I can't find any good sources to determine lighting for such a small tank short of paying an arm and a leg for a par reader (not really an option).

SO I'd like to hear what lights you all use? (be as specific as you can)
What plant types do successfully grow with this light?
(low/medium/high light growers)
How high is your light from the substrate?
(please specify if cm or inches)
How long is your light on?
Does your tank get sunlight too?

For me its:Evovle 4 stock light.
Successfully.. some temporary java fern so low light plants.. not sure about the swords yet.
Its about 10.5 inches from top of substrate to the light.
8-10 hour of lighting.
No sunlight love for this tank.

Thank you everyone who helps with this.

Last edited by Aqua Aurora; 10-24-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo-o-o
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So for NPT 3 gallon Tetra Cube Tank I use:

Light: 5,000K 9 Watt CFL (Compact fluorescent light)
Rating: I'd say it's a good medium light, I'd like to find a 6,500K or 6,700K Spiral that I can use since the light I use sits right on the plastic of the tank. I use one of these for the light housing: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...4513#thdHeader
I've been growing Dwarf Hairgrass very easily, water wisteria is growing crazy as is my water sprite. Dwarf Sag is doing great and my Crypt Parva is sending out a new leaf nearly every day.
Height: roughly 8-9 inches from the substrate.
Duration: 10 hours (10 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Sunlight: yes but just recently as I'm testing out a theory with UV light and Mycobacteria but normally none of my tanks get sunlight.

I have plenty of other tanks but the plants haven't been doing so well because I keep forgetting to use my liquid ferts and time to time I replace my root tabs, but this tank above is an NPT so that greatly helps. But all my lights are either 5,000K or 6,500K Fluorescent lights.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #3 
rickey
Banned

Fluval-Mini Power Compact Lamp this is what I use on my 2 Betta tank a long with stock LED(Fluval Spec III and Fluval Edge 6)

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #4 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post

Rating: I'd say it's a good medium light, I'd like to find a 6,500K or 6,700K Spiral that I can use since the light I use sits right on the plastic of the tank. I use one of these for the light housing: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercia...4513#thdHeader
I've been growing Dwarf Hairgrass very easily, water wisteria is growing crazy as is my water sprite. Dwarf Sag is doing great and my Crypt Parva is sending out a new leaf nearly every day.
Sunlight: yes but just recently as I'm testing out a theory with UV light and Mycobacteria but normally none of my tanks get sunlight.

I have plenty of other tanks but the plants haven't been doing so well because I keep forgetting to use my liquid ferts and time to time I replace my root tabs, but this tank above is an NPT so that greatly helps. But all my lights are either 5,000K or 6,500K Fluorescent lights.
Ok thank you for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
Fluval-Mini Power Compact Lamp this is what I use on my 2 Betta tank a long with stock LED(Fluval Spec III and Fluval Edge 6)

R
What type of plants do you have (low/medium/high) and how far is the light from the substrate?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
rickey
Banned

It's 10 inch it both tanks
5 watts per gallon in the Spec III
2 watts per gallon in the Edge
Not counting the stock LEDs
CF on 8 hr, LEDs on 11 hr a day
Eco Complete, No CO2
I can grow pretty much anything that will fit in the tanks but they're small tanks and get over grown pretty quick

R

R
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #6 
Aryia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post

That lamp looks like a good idea to me. I'll go check them out at Ace today. I haven't even thought of those while looking at aquarium lights and then shop lights, which are all more expensive than my tank itself!

Thank you~
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If you can stand the appearance, second-hand store desklamps (like I use) work great with screw-in curly CFLs which can be had in six-packs of 15W, 6500K, for <$20. And you can vary the distance to substrate or get higher wattage. Put a shallow reflector on a hanging fixture. Lots of ways to get light.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
If you can stand the appearance, second-hand store desklamps (like I use) work great with screw-in curly CFLs which can be had in six-packs of 15W, 6500K, for <$20. And you can vary the distance to substrate or get higher wattage. Put a shallow reflector on a hanging fixture. Lots of ways to get light.
I don't mind desk lamps but I have a hard time determining what will be "medium" lighting and not "low" or "high" since i don't have the $ for a par reader and don't want to kill plants testing >.>
Old 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #9 
beautiful Betta

as far as I understand from reading all the threads about lighting, you can buy a normal energy spiral lamp from your supermarket and it is the kelvin number you need to look for, which will be listed on the box somewhere. (I found it on the bottom) but you want around 6000k ideally 6700k I have one that is 6500k and I bought a cool daylight bulb colour, the warm bulbs give a yellow glow and I don't like the look of that in a tank.

Last edited by beautiful Betta; 10-25-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #10 
rickey
Banned

I done have a PAR meter either. I started at 10 hours and work back to 8 hour to get control of the algae. That's where I keep the timers set year around. I grow plants as a secondary project so I really don't do a lot of advanced plants.

R

Tags
lighting, planted nano, questions