Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2013, 01:50 AM   #11 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
Fluval-Mini Power Compact Lamp this is what I use on my 2 Betta tank a long with stock LED(Fluval Spec III and Fluval Edge 6)

R
I tried to use this light on a rimmed 5.5G tank. I kept trying different means of mounting, nothing worked right. The clearance in the light clamp for the tank wall is about half as wide as the rimmed tank wall for it. The light set on the glass canopy on the tank seemed to be good for the crypts and wisteria and anubia and bacopa in the tank. I decided that I would find a rimless tank for my second Betta tank and that is in the process of being set up.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 AM   #12 
Aryia

I just bought some 2700K bulbs cause they were on sale O.o will they work for low light plants or not at all?
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:23 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Plants grow best in the mid-day sun. That's what 6500K emulates. Your 2700K is evening light---actually devised to look like incandescent lamps, about the same color as candle-light.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:33 AM   #14 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Quote:
If you can stand the appearance, second-hand store desklamps (like I use) work great with screw-in curly CFLs which can be had in six-packs of 15W, 6500K, for <$20. And you can vary the distance to substrate or get higher wattage. Put a shallow reflector on a hanging fixture. Lots of ways to get light.
This is my favorite method because it is cheap and easily customizable. 2700k bulbs won't be nearly as good for growing plants, but you could try it. If I were you I would just use the 2700k around the house (way better then incandescent anyways), and buy 6500-6700k (usually labeled as "daylight") for your aquarium.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #15 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
I tried to use this light on a rimmed 5.5G tank. I kept trying different means of mounting, nothing worked right. The clearance in the light clamp for the tank wall is about half as wide as the rimmed tank wall for it. The light set on the glass canopy on the tank seemed to be good for the crypts and wisteria and anubia and bacopa in the tank. I decided that I would find a rimless tank for my second Betta tank and that is in the process of being set up.
The mounting system only works with rimless tank since both of may tanks are rimless I hadn't real given it much thought

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, planted nano, questions