Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1 
WaterWolf100

I don't know what's wrong, and don't know what to do

I've posted a few times before about my fish, DiNozzo. I've had him for 9 months now. Recently he has been looking terrible. Sometimes he will just sit at he bottom of his tank for an hour, not moving at all. He will move when I get his attention, but he just lies so still.

Physically, he looks awful. The first picture is when I first got him, and the rest are ones I took today (10/24/13)

I'm pretty sure he is biting his fins, but I don't know what to do to make him stop, or how to help them grow back. He has also been shedding what I think is his slime coat (flaky bits that look like dead skin to me). I've been doing 80% weekly water changes now and adding Stress Coat conditioner to the water. (Before I used Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner)

Does anyone know what is wrong with him? There are days when his energy is fine and he eats normally. Others he doesn't move much at all and will bite at his food, but them spit part of it back up.) He also had a silk plant in his tank but I took it out today so he doesn't make his fins any worse than they already are.

I appreciate any suggestions that people may have. My roommate thinks that he is on his last legs (er, fins). I hope that's not the case. I feel bad if he is in pain and is suffering.
Attached Images

WaterWolf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #2 
Gracie8890

If he is a fin biter, there's not much we can do, you can ask around and see whats worked for people, every fish is different not everything will work with him. What size tank do you have and do you have a heater and filter?
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #3 
WaterWolf100

It's a 3 gallon tank and he's all by himself in it. There is a filter and a heater. I was thinking if maybe the filter isn't working well anymore, lowering the water quality and making him bite his fins. Is that possible?

Are there any tips on helping him grow his fins back?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #4 
Gracie8890

Im not really an expert, on tail biting, but it could be possible. To get it to grow back all you need is clean water! You can try adding a little AQ salt to see if itll help with the fins and perking him up a little. Try 1 tablespoon. With weekly water changes.
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 
erinbirdsong

I would suggest getting rid of the filter completely. Betta's don't need them and most prefer not to have them. Then I would up the water changes for now to 100% 2x per week. and see if that helps. Once he is back to normal resume with 100% weekly water changes.

I would also suggest using Prime as your declorinater.

What temp do you have the heater set on?
erinbirdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a betta that I got from Petsmart before I moved. He had no fins and it wasn't from fin rot. They never got red or infected or anything. What I did was keep him in clean water, changed every 4 or 5 days. I added stresscoat and aq salt. I did this for several weeks. This was advice given to me from Moonshadow who rescues bettas and treats their various health issues then rehomes them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #7 
fidget

Does he have a heater?
My tail biter has slowed/stopped FINALLY after I added a lot of plants to his tank and moved him into a quieter area of the house. Good luck!! Tail biting can be hard to curb. Someone recently told me they grow out of it- so keep his water clean til then :)

Last edited by fidget; 10-25-2013 at 10:05 PM.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #8 
WaterWolf100

Thank you everyone who replied!

His tank is heated, but it is not one that I can control. It is a tetra heater that keeps it at the healthy range for Bettas. In regards to his filter, I live in a dorm room and I do not have the resources to have a tank without a filter in it.

I have started weekly 80% water changes with the Stress Coat and will soon be doing a second 50% change halfway through the week until his fins start growing back. I got some AQ salt and will add it to his tank.

I also am going to start feeding him Freeze dried blood worms since I read high protein food will help with his fin regrowth. I have not noticed any redness or infection on his fins, so perhaps it isn't fin rot like I thought. However, his face has been turning white. Could that be a side effect of poor water? I did a pH test and it is in the normal range. Could it be from high ammonia levels?

Are there any other things I can do to help his fins keep growing?