Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
Espeon

New "Rescue" - Help?

About a month ago, my roommate and I went to the Petco near our school, and as always, we had to go check out the bettas. There was one halfmoon in very dirty water and had a nasty case of popeye. We showed him to an employee, and she told us they'd take care of him.

Today, we went to the same Petco and lo and behold, there was the same halfmoon from a month ago. I'm almost positive he's the same one, seeing as they're identical. His popeye was gone, only he'd developed what we think is fin rot. I decided to take him, and brought him home with us. When we emptied out the Petco cup he was in, it was pretty nasty.

He's been pretty lethargic since we put him in a basic 1 gallon bowl (temporary, I do have 2.5 with a filter and everything for him when he feels better) and has been breathing heavily. We put clean, warm water and eight drops of Betta Herbal Revive in the bowl. Any ideas on what to do with him? I really hope he'll be alright. :(

Also, he still needs a name - I was leaning towards something from Greek/Roman mythology. My roommate has Triton, Hermes, and Narcissus, so it can't be any of those.
Attached Images

Espeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #2 
Chachi

What a pretty color!
Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #3 
Espeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
What a pretty color!
Thank you! :) I'm guessing he'll get brighter once he's feeling better, too.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 
Espeon

Update: He seems to be doing better this morning. Last night he stayed near the bottom of the bowl and was breathing pretty heavily, but today he's swimming a little more and his breathing isn't nearly as heavy. I'm going to try using aquarium salt for the fin rot and doing 100% water changes daily.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
Soph7244

I think all you need to do is keep him in a nice tank with clean and warm water for a while and I think that would do it! once you know it's not serious I would move him into the bigger tank as soon as possible. Good luck and keep me updated!
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 
Espeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph7244 View Post
I think all you need to do is keep him in a nice tank with clean and warm water for a while and I think that would do it! once you know it's not serious I would move him into the bigger tank as soon as possible. Good luck and keep me updated!
The clean, warm water is helping him a lot- he seems much happier today than he did yesterday! I even got him to eat three pellets, which is great. I'll definitely keep you guys posted!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

He is gorgeous! I agree on daily water changes , give us update.Thank you for rescuing him!
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #8 
Espeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
He is gorgeous! I agree on daily water changes , give us update.Thank you for rescuing him!
Thank you! :) I changed his water last night and added a little bit of aquarium salt for the fin rot. He's pretty active this morning and even ate a few bloodworms. I'll change his water again tonight.

He finally has a name now, too - Acarnan.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #9 
PetMania

API Stress Coat can also help him out a lot. Every rescue I have has been treated with this.
I would recommend keeping him in smaller quaters until he settles.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #10 
Espeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
API Stress Coat can also help him out a lot. Every rescue I have has been treated with this.
I would recommend keeping him in smaller quaters until he settles.
I will definitely look into getting that for him. Thank you! Right now he's in a 1g bowl - the only other things I have that are smaller are Petco/Petsmart cups and these glass bowls that are probably around .25g. About two months ago this guy was selling bettas at my school in the .25g bowls (they're cups, really), which is how I ended up with my other betta, Enjolras.

Tags
emergency, fin rot, petco, rescue, sick