Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 PM   #1 
BettaFishAddict

Life pretty much sucks for me right now.

Hello. Im new. And I have two sick bettas. Ugh. My male, Cleo has fin rot which I found out because I did some research on why his fins are the way they are. That stupid store doesn't take care of their fish. My mother got him for me about a month or so ago now, and I knew there was something wrong. She didn't of course, well because she's a mom and doesn't know anything about fish. Neither did I until now. And I recently got a ten gallon sorority. My girls were mailed. And guess what? The bags they were in had water that was yellow. It was literally like pee. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's supposed to be that way. Why don't people take care of the beautiful fish they're selling. Anyways it turns out one of my girls, Aqua, has Dropsy. I just noticied today, and rushed to the pet shop and got what I needed to treat her. So I'm currently treating two bettas and life sucks because I'm the type of person that gets attached to pets like a melting piece of gum. Aqua is in a quarantine bowl for now and I'm going to do a full water change for my ten gallon to prevent any of my other girls getting Dropsy. Because of the fact that Dropsy itself isn't contagious but the bacteria is. Okay semi-rant over.
BettaFishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 
JamieTron

:( I know...petstores suck...I bought two males that were ill (I wanted to save them) basically they were festering inside tiny cups...yellow, feces filled water. Some were dead an bloated, they were all on for like 2 dollars...I had to save them.

I hope your bettas get better...and welcome to the forum!
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #3 
BettaFishAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieTron View Post
:( I know...petstores suck...I bought two males that were ill (I wanted to save them) basically they were festering inside tiny cups...yellow, feces filled water. Some were dead an bloated, they were all on for like 2 dollars...I had to save them.

I hope your bettas get better...and welcome to the forum!
Yep, thanks. I hope they do too.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Dropsy is pretty much fatal. Usually if they can recover from it, it wasn't dropsy in the first place.

Sorry about your Bettas, we all go through our Bettas having issues every now and again.
I'm currently treating one of my boys with fin rot, he's been like this for a month or so. He is slowly getting better, but I think it's going to be a long process.
One of my females has some sort of odd fungal infection that isn't really bothering her at all. She is just fine, but has this spot on her.

It's tough, but if you know that you are doing everything you can for them, it eases your mind some.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #5 
BettaFishAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Dropsy is pretty much fatal. Usually if they can recover from it, it wasn't dropsy in the first place.

Sorry about your Bettas, we all go through our Bettas having issues every now and again.
I'm currently treating one of my boys with fin rot, he's been like this for a month or so. He is slowly getting better, but I think it's going to be a long process.
One of my females has some sort of odd fungal infection that isn't really bothering her at all. She is just fine, but has this spot on her.

It's tough, but if you know that you are doing everything you can for them, it eases your mind some.
It's just that I get too attached. It hasn't even been a week yet with my sorority, and I'm like in love with them. And I wrote I strongly worded email to the seller of my girls. I just get soo annoyed by people who are too lazy to actually take care of their fish.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 PM   #6 
BettaFishAddict

Okay now I'm worried. Aqua's spitting out little white specks. What is that? I'm freaked out. :\
Old 09-19-2009, 03:26 AM   #7 
AlexXx

Hope your betta get better!

my 2 males both have fin rot... both havnt gotten any worse, but not any better either... both treated with JFC, and metafix... Hopefully they can grow some finnage back soon...

I HATE all the icky looking cups at pet stores... i wish i had more room in my place to save them!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #8 
sumsum

It could almost be scales coming off=.((((((((((((((
sumsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #9 
BettaFishAddict

No. I'm pretty sure it was from her mouth. Because she was blowing a medium sized bubble, bigger than ones found in a bubble nest, and then white specks were coming out from her. Besides she's a greyish with blue on her fins and back. So it couldn't be white scales?
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #10 
Kim

Did you get the girls from a breeder? Lots of times people use indian almond leaf extract with bettas. It is naturally occuring in their natural habitat and is good for them. The leaves release tannins that stain the water a clear yellow/brown color but this is perfectly fine. Of course, I have walked into Walmart on many occasions and seen bettas sitting the the WORST conditions with yellow water that I know didn't come from indian almond leaves (IAL).

As for Cleo's fin rot, I have found that Fungus Clear by Jungle Labs is an excellent product and has worked many times for me without any issues.

I really have no clue what Aqua could be spitting out, but I wish you luck with her dropsy. What med did you buy?

About you tanks; are they cycled or uncycled and what is your water change schedule? While this may seem like irrelevant information, it usually turns out to be quite signifigant.

Good luck!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote