Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

I am absolutely thrilled!

At my college, we're only allowed to have one tank per room, with a 10 gallon maximum. My roommate and I, being avid fish lovers, bought a 10 gallon, dividers, and fish. I originally came to college with 4 male guppies, one of which passed away about a week or two after move-in. At the beginning of this month, my roommate and I got the 10 gallon and set it up, each with a betta. We divided the 10 gallon three ways, giving each betta 3 gallons and the 3 remaining guppies had a 4 gallon section.

My betta, a DSHMPK named Poseidon, is really aggressive towards my roommate's betta. Every time he sees him through the divider, he flares and wiggles. But whenever he saw my guppies, he would be completely calm and didn't care at all.

Today, I cleaned the tank for the first time and cupped both bettas. I moved Poseidon's cup to the guppies' side to float while I took out his decorations to clean, and he was still completely calm. They ignored him, and he ignored them. So as a test, I moved Poseidon to my roommate's portion of the tank (still in his cup) and he flared and went crazy. When I moved him back to the guppies' side, he calmed down. So, I let him sit for a while, while I cleaned his decorations. Then, I released him into the guppies' side. They got along great! No nipping, no chasing, no flaring on anyone's part. I sat and watched them for a good 30 minutes before I took everyone out to do a water change. I rearranged the tank and took out a divider, and now Poseidon is sharing a part of the tank with the guppies. They still seem to be getting along great, and it's been hours now. No bite marks, tears, or anything. They seem happy. Poseidon isn't being territorial towards them, and they aren't being annoying. :) I'm very happy, as this gives everyone more swimming space. My roommate's betta now has about 4 gallons of space while the others have about 6. I baffled the filter by stuffing some aquarium sponge inside it, and I baffled it again with a bit of a water bottle. The surface isn't disturbed, and no one's being pushed around.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy fish mama right now. :) I'll have pictures soon enough. My camera battery died.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 
MerlinsBeard

Oh neat! I had a betta in with a large group of guppies a few years ago and never ever had a problem. They lived peacefully for the guppies entire lives and then when the betta was alone I moved him to a smaller solo tank. I hope your fish stay friendly!
MerlinsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm very happy. :) I didn't think they would get along well at all, because my guppies are brightly colored. He hardly notices them, it seems!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Hope it continues working but if it doesn't, redivide and put Guppies between the Bettas.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I already have a plan for if it doesn't work out. :) I have a 10 gallon tank at home that I will house the guppies in, if it doesn't work out. I'll be going home next weekend, so if they can behave until then, we're good.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Some people buffer by putting the filter and heater in the middle of the tank between two dividers. That way there's a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) of sorts.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

I don't think I have much of a problem with the bettas. They haven't learned that they could jump yet, and neither seem too interested in getting at the other. I've never had an issue with a betta jumping the divider, except for one time which was my own fault. :) I taught my girl how to jump for food and she kind of overshot the distance and fell into my boy's half. Nothing happened, but she never did it again after that.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #8 
Perocore

That's awesome that they got along! When I had fancy guppies (had a really nice strain of orange-tailed green snakeskins going on) I wanted to keep my betta in with them but didn't for fear that he would see my long-tailed, colorful males and think "other betta."

I'd love to see some pictures of the happy group :D
Perocore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #9 
Rainbows

Location: In a house, in a town, in a state, in USA, on earth.
All my bettas live with guppies at the moment :) like others are saying, if your betta starts to show agressive to the guppies separate them! I've learned my bettas don't like when the guppies get in their way during "feed time" so the guppies get a bit of a nip. But Have fun! :)
Rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

They're still getting along great. :) Only bit of aggression I've seen is when one certain guppy bugs my betta. This particular guppy is a total brat though. He bugs everyone, including the other guppies and they nip at him all the time. He just likes to be annoying and he gets a little nip and backs off. :)