Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #1 
hollyk

Help with new betta!

Hi again, everyone!

So, I bought a new betta today. He looked a little stressed in his cup, but not terrible. His cup was cracked and water was leaking from it slightly, so I wonder if someone dropped him, hence the excess apparent stress. I brought him home and acclimated him over a few hours before releasing him into a 2.5 gallon, heated tank. He's not looking so great tonight, though. He's just kind of resting on the bottom. The tank has been treated with Prime and nothing else. I noticed that the temp had climbed to 82*, so it's lowering again. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with the setup. He also ate a few NLS pellets earlier.

Anyone have any advice? I don't know if I should just shut out the lights and cover the tank with a blanket so he can rest overnight and maybe feel better in the morning? I'm afraid of just leaving it alone, though, and having him be dead in the morning. He also seems to be a tail biter, based on what I can see of his fins. I can try to get a picture here, but the lighting in my apartment is not good at night. He's not actually laying on his side on the bottom, just resting down there. No other signs of illness that I've noticed. Thanks for any tips you have to offer!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #2 
jayr232

Just turn his lights off so he can rest and dont do anything unnecessary to his tank that might stress him out. Resting betta is quite common for new bettas especially if they are confined in a cup in a pet store
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

+1 on jayr232's advice.

Picture this: you get removed from your home, and transported over a bumpy road. You're dumped into a tiny plastic cup, and placed next to other fish that are trying to kill you. You're cold, hungry, and your cup is filled with waste. There are hostile fish everywhere you look.... Then, you're moved into another home. It's warmer, and *seems* safe, but you aren't sure what's going to happen next.... Given all that, I think I understand why they need some time to acclimate.

Darkness has a calming effect on them. When I acclimate, I drape a towel over the tank so it's dark. I arrange it so there's an overlap in the front that I can open and peek into from time to time.

The fact that he ate a few pellets already is great! Many bettas won't eat at first, so it sounds like he'll be OK.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 
hollyk

Great- thank you both! I did turn the lights off last night and leave him alone, even though I died a little inside to do it. He seems good this morning. He just ate a few more pellets and seems a little more active. I was just worried about how stressed he was- I know that they get stressed, but considering the fact that he was probably dropped or bashed really hard to make his cup break (it's a pretty hard cup, too), and then his water was slowly dripping out, he must have been so freaked out! I guess I was just wondering if he needed any extra "help" to acclimate. But he seems to be doing fine on his own! Thanks again!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #5 
PetMania

Glad to hear that he is doing well
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #6 
hollyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
Glad to hear that he is doing well
Thanks. Once again, I've just got a severe case of Worried Mommy Syndrome! Even when my "children" (fishy, feline, avian, or guinea pig) are absolutely fine, I invent illnesses for them and freak out for no reason. It's a serious illness, and sadly, it's untreatable. Only way to fix it is to get rid of the pets, which isn't happening. So they have to live with my hypochondria on their behalf!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

We understand. Most of us do the same with our pets.

If I get sick, it's no big deal. If my pet is sick, I go into "crisis mode."

Glad he's doing well today!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote