Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #1 
BalthySaurus

Light for 5 Gallon tank?

So I got a 5 gallon tank for Balthazar, and I was wondering what people's recommendation's were for a light? I currently just have a lamp that I keep on next to his tank during the day but I'd rather have an actual tank light so I can use the lamp for other things. Thanks in advance!
BalthySaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #2 
BalthySaurus

Update: I found this online, does anyone else have one? I don't have a hood, just a solid glass lid, I wouldn't need a hood for this would I?

http://www.bigalspets.com/led-light-...anging-12.html
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 
kyle89

Its a bubbler and led light. If your not growing plants you don't really need a light. I'm actually in the works of building a led light for over a glass lid for my old 5 gallon. I can't find a hood for a 5 gallon anywhere
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 AM   #4 
BalthySaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Its a bubbler and led light. If your not growing plants you don't really need a light. I'm actually in the works of building a led light for over a glass lid for my old 5 gallon. I can't find a hood for a 5 gallon anywhere
I've found that Balthazar tends to look healthier and happier when he has light for about 9-10 hours a day and darkness for the rest. I also plan on getting a live plant for him at some point, whenever I get to the pet store next, but in the meantime I'd still like an actual tank light for him. How difficult would it be to build one? I live in res at a University, so supplies and money aren't things that are readily available to me, nor is time, but if it's cheap enough and I can get the supplies maybe I could give it a try?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #5 
kyle89

I got strip led lights off of eBay that where water proof but where not. The led lights where 15 dollars. I got a replacement set and an gonna build a frame to go over a glass lid to attach the strips of LEDs to
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 
FirstBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Aqueon makes a glass canopy for their 5.5G tank. I have it, I bought it at Petco.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #7 
kyle89

Hes looking for either a hood with a light or just a clip on light for the tank
Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #8 
rickey
Banned

Is it a rimless tank?

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

In my opinion, unless you're growing a lot of live plants, going through the bother and expense of getting a hood, or even just a cover with lights is overkill for a Betta setup.

The traditional "hood" with light is common practice with larger aquariums. It provides enough light for any plants, even high to medium light plants. Betta prefer a darker environment, so low-light plants (Anubias, Java fern, Java moss, mossballs) are more appropriate.

I use an inexpensive second-hand-store desklamp with a 15W 6500K curly CFL (Compact Floresctn Light). My fish like it and my low-light plants grow just fine. I have a spotlighted half and a shady half in my tank. Very dramatic. I think it looks great. And it gives my fish a shady place to hide out.

(I did say, "...in my opinion," didn't I?)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting