Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1 
2Skinny

What is this on my Betta? Should I be concerned/how should I treat?

I have had my Betta now for about a week and today I notice a small, discolored and flaky spot in between his eyes on his head. Not sure what it is. He is in a 3 gallon tank, with the thermostat set ~80, but with ambient temperature changes that fluctuates +/- 2 degrees. The tank is planted and has been established for a couple years, but has only had a Nerite snail for the last year or so. I don't dose with anything with the exception of adding Prime to the water I use in changes. I have been feeding him Hikari bio-gold pellets, 5 or so once a day. He is very active and flares often. Here are some pictures I attempted to take to illustrate what I am seeing: http://imgur.com/a/Pd4TB

Any help is appreciated.
2Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #2 
TheGoldenBetta

Hello. Before we can help you too much, some questions need to be answered. How long has this been happening? Have you done anything different with the tank recently? How often do you do water changes? Has he been ill before? If you can't answer a question, just forget it. All i can really suggest right now is to feed 2 pellets in the morning and 2 pellets later in the day. It may help him not to 'stuff' himself. I hope he feels better soon.
TheGoldenBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #3 
2Skinny

He has only been in the tank 1 week. I just did the first 50% water change, ammonia was approaching .25 ppm. I fist noticed the spot last night. Other than the Betta, no other changes to the tank. He has not been ill since I have had him (1 week) and is very active. I had read somewhere else to dose salt, but I wasn't sure so I came here.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #4 
TheGoldenBetta

I'm sorry, I don't know too much about this. Chances are that another member will see this and give better information. Also, did you acclimate him into the new tank? What sized tank was he in before?
Old 10-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #5 
2Skinny

He was in a cup at the fish store previously. I acclimated him to the tank over a 3 hour period or so when I brought him home.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 
TheGoldenBetta

Your acclimation seems fine, but next time you can probably go for 1 or 2 hours. I apologize for the back and forth responses of me giving questions, but do you have any fish medication for that problem? Ahead of time, I warn you NOT to use it if you have it. Also, the food, Hikari pellets, people say does not have many nutrients. I am sure that is not the problem, I use it and my bettas are very healthy. I apologize, I don't think I can help much more.