Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #1 
BakaMandy

I can't figure it out!

So Aros has been combating fin rot for a while now.

:/ I made the really stupid mistake of putting him in Shota's old tank without cleaning it properly when I first got him, and because he was super stressed out for the longest time I think he got infected with Shota's fin rot.

But anyway, it kinda comes and goes, it hasn't been super serious until lately. The shredding that happens at the ends of his fins is tanking longer to heal (he also has a tiny pin hole in his dorsal fin that won't heal) D: so I think the Maracyn+Maracyn-two mix I've been treating him with is no longer having an effect.

I've been treating him in Shota's now completely scrubbed down 3 gallon tank because he doesn't like a smaller hospital tank well at all. So I've filled it with 2 gallons though, and I do 50% water changes every 4 days. Every other 4 weeks, I empty it completely and clean it with boiling water and aquarium salt and let it soak for a goof few hours before I set it up again. I keep two silk plants in there with him and a plastic cave to help him relax so he's not stressed out and I boil and let them soak in salt water whenever I scrub down the tank too.

Anyway, lately, I've noticed a strange growth on the part of his tail. It's a weird yellowish dot, and at first I thought it was fungus, so I got API Fungus Clear and it hasn't gone away. I'm thinking it might be velvet, but it's only a tiny dot on this one part of his tail, and he doesn't have any other symptoms that might point towards it, like darting around around rubbing himself against anything. Does anyone else have an idea at what this might be?

His frilly fins make it really hard to see his fin clearly >.<;; And he won't flare even when you place a mirror up to him, so he HAS to see another betta to flare ):

I'm also wondering what other kinds of medicines do people use to treat fin rot? I've ordered Ampicillin but the pet store can't get it in cause they're supplier is out of stock and won't get any more till a certain quota of orders is made... and I can't order it online cause most of the stores won't ship to Canada. The penicillin I've bought is expired... and I feel like I'm running out of hope >.<

): I'll appreciate any help or ideas.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try Jungle Fungus Clear or Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #3 
BakaMandy

But doesn't that treat fungal fin rot? Aros defiantly has bacterial fin rot.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

For bacterial finrot, try Maracyn1 and 2 together. Either that or Kanamycin. These were recommended to me by another forum member.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #5 
Rain Drop

What works best for me is actually just a salt bath a day and adding extra salt and melafix or bettafix with every WC.

JFC never worked against bacterial fin rot for me....
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

Yeah, the Maracyn + Maracyn 2 isn't working much magic for me anymore >.< that's why i was asking for alternatives...

And I keep giving him salt baths + bettafix ): and I haven't seen an improvement...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #7 
AlexXx

I donno whats up with that yellow thing, but my lil guy white stringy (it wasnt poop, cuz its on his top fins) stuff coming off his fin rotted fins too, but it went away after a few days, He hasnt gotten any worse, but hardly gotten better..

im giving him a break for a week then starting another 7 days cycle of melafix
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #8 
BBgirl

JFC does treat bacterial fin rot and did wonders for Rusty. He had to go through one 7 day treatment and a 30% water change and another 7 days (a little longer than on the box) but worked great and Rusty is doing super all the way around.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote