Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #1 
Julie Marie

Smile FIRST TIMER!!! Please help <3

A few weeks ago my husband brought home a fish for our kid. I begged him not to do so as I am crazy about animals (big and small) and knew it would consume me! He did so anyway and here I am Betta obsessed (so he says)... I have probably spent way too much time and money trying to give this guy the happiest and best home I can afford, but I can't help it. From ditching the plastic plants he brought home for silk ones to upgrading his tiny bowl to a larger 2 gallon cylinder tank. My husband won't let me use a heater (paranoid about malfunctions or our son hurting himself) so I also spent time researching and finding a goose neck lamp with a red bulb (so as not to disturb his night time) to heat up the tank. The lady at the pet store told me I was crazy and that bettas are fine and don't need heat. Thanks to all these threads I've learned otherwise! And now that his tank stays between 76-78 degrees at all times, he is one happy little guy. I do have one question though ... does anyone have any info on fins tearing in half. I noticed one fin this morning was cut clean in half (i have only silk plants in there and a betta hammock?) I also use the aloe coated water conditioner each time I change out the water AND have been adding salt into his tank ... Which by the way am i supposed to do something with the salt before I put it in? (i've just been dropping the appropriate amount of rocks into the tank every time I change out the water!)

OKAY WOW that was a lot of talking... apologies!! I guess I'm just happy to have found a place where I can rant about this sweet little guy without people looking at me like I'm nuts!!! .... I've even taught him to eat from my finger. Im so in love haha

I must include photos as I am a very proud mommy ; )

Julie Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 
twolovers101

He looks very happy, and it sounds like you've done a good job giving him a good home. I don't see any problem with his fins :) He is actually a double tail which means he was genetically bred so that his tail fin (caudal fin) is split in half. Sometimes it can be hard to notice at first.

You probably don't need the salt anymore (which you should dissolve before you add to his tank) and can easily remove it with a couple of water changes.

He looks very healthy to me other wise :)

Edit: Because you're a new owner, just wanted to say to make sure you're doing the right water changes. 1 50% and 1 100% a week at the minimum, two 100s would probably be best for a 2 gal though.
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #3 
Julie Marie

Thank you for the info, very helpful! These pictures were taken a few days ago ... his fin tore sometime last night (the one that is on the top of his body, now it looks like there are TWO fins on the top of his body : ( ...

I've never done a 50% water change? Just 100% every 4 or 5 days, is this too much stress on him?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #4 
PetMania

No, the 100% water change is better for him, but if he does get stressed, then maybe start doing a 50% and a 100% like twolovers said. You're doing a really great job!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #5 
twolovers101

100% every 4 days is fine :) it shouldn't bee to much stress..

As for the rip on his top fin, it's very possible that he tore it on something in the tank. Not sure what might have caused it though. The best way to find out would be to take out the ornaments and things in his tank and run a pair of pantyhose along them, if anything snags or rips the pantyhose it's too rough for your betta. You can file down anything that is rough with a nail file in most cases.

I originally thought that it was the caudal fin that you were worried about, so go ahead and keep using the salt just to stave off any infection while he heals up. Just don't use it longer than 14 days in a row (MAX)

I had a veil tail suddenly split his tail on what seemed like nothing once, and in a few days it healed right up and he never had the problem again. Hopefully he'll heal quickly ^^
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #6 
hollyk

Wow! What a gorgeous fish! No wonder you're a proud mommy!
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #7 
PetMania

I saw so many beautiful DTs like that at PetCo today........so.......tempting...... must have more
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #8 
Julie Marie

This has been so helpful to find this site, thank you everyone for being so sweet and informative!

And thank you TWOLOVERS for the brilliant panty hose idea, i will for sure be doing that one the next time I clean his tank!

I know how you feel PetMania, now when I see bettas in their sad little cups at the store I want to buy them all : ( My little guy was much darker when we got him just a month or so ago ... he seems to be getting more and more beautiful each week and always dancing around with his fins spread out!

OH ONE MORE QUESTION!! (hope i'm not being annoying) Before I go to bed, I always check on him and the temp of the tank (just to always be sure) and I noticed he will sometimes flare at me??? Only at night? Anyone know why this might be?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #9 
Niece

Well mine sometimes flares at me when I come up to the tank at anytime. They have attitude bettas lol. Don't think it's anything to worry about. =]
Niece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:03 AM   #10 
hollyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Marie View Post
This has been so helpful to find this site, thank you everyone for being so sweet and informative!

And thank you TWOLOVERS for the brilliant panty hose idea, i will for sure be doing that one the next time I clean his tank!

I know how you feel PetMania, now when I see bettas in their sad little cups at the store I want to buy them all : ( My little guy was much darker when we got him just a month or so ago ... he seems to be getting more and more beautiful each week and always dancing around with his fins spread out!

OH ONE MORE QUESTION!! (hope i'm not being annoying) Before I go to bed, I always check on him and the temp of the tank (just to always be sure) and I noticed he will sometimes flare at me??? Only at night? Anyone know why this might be?
Haha, I think it's because he's quirky! The fun thing about bettas (okay, one of the fun things about bettas) is that they all have different personalities and little quirks. Sounds to me like you just found one of your guy's. Although, it could be that he's more nervous at night? Especially if the light was off and you'd just turned it on or something. In any case, nothing to really worry about, I wouldn't think. Just make sure that you're not making him nervous for some reason.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, new tank, torn fin