Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #1 
literallysquid

Question Water change confusion!

I've been told my many sources that you only have to do full water changes about once a week, and 2/3 - 3/4 (or something around that amount) every three days or so.
So if I drain out 2/3 of my 1 gallon tank.. how much water conditioner am I supposed to replace? The full amount for the full tank or half the amount or only enough for 2/3 of new water or what?! Because if I only take out 2/3 of the water, there is still going to be some of the conditioner left in it.. right?? So confused. This also goes for aquarium salts.. do I replace all of it or half of it or what?
literallysquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You condition any new water, so if you putting IN 1/3 of the water, you condition just that 1/3. However, you can condition the entire tank volume, since it's only 1 gallon it's not going to be much either way so it doesn't matter too much for you

For 1 gallons, yes you should do two 50% changes and one 100% in one week and repeat the following weeks. So it can get sort of stressful after a while, been there done it!

And while we're on the subject, do not use Aquarium salt for weekly use!!!!!!! I know what the package says but do NOT follow it! AQ salt should ONLY be used for medicating sick fish. Too much use of the salt can cause it to be less effective against disease later down the road and can also cause a fishes organs to shut down which equals dead fishie granted, that won't happen right away but prolonged use of it will. When medicating you can use it safely up to 14 day's but no longer. If you have to keep medicating, give a 5-7 day's of rest of just pure water and continue to treat. But AQ salt should not be used for weekly water changes!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #3 
literallysquid

Oh thank you, I had no idea about the AQ salts!! Thank you so much!!!!
literallysquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Np! glad to have helped ^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote