Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #1 
Joelouisvachon

Stocking my ten gallon

I've upgraded Charry from a 5g to a 10g. It isn't set up or anything, seeing as I bought it just today, but I wanted to know if there were any little things I could have him share the tank with.
Joelouisvachon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #2 
helms97

i woud say a few shrimp and/or 2 to three ADFs would be ideal. is charry male or female? (I'm bad with names lol!)
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

I agree.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 
Joelouisvachon

He's the only male betta, the rest of my bettas are the sorority girls. The name could work for either gender though, so I understand the confusion.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
Joelouisvachon

I'm afraid that the snails will get overpopulated... how many would I get? I could always crush eggs too, I don't have any qualms about doing so.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #6 
Quinn

Mystery snails are very fun in my opinion and lay their eggs above the water line, so try are easy to remove. They also need a partner to lay, so you could get one and not worry about it at all. They also CAN be sexed, though it can be a bit tricky. I have 4 I bought from a member on here, peachii, and while the two small ones haven't really been properly sexed yet I think I may have all gals.
Nerite snails will lay eggs in freshwater but they never hatch (I've heard rumors of RARE instances but as a rule they don't). They are great algae eaters. The eggs are a bit annoying as they look sort of like little sesame seeds scattered all over.
You could get one or two of either of the above and keep the population from growing.
MAlaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) are great for cleaning and aerating the substrate. They reproduce easily and fast if there is a good environment (of you over feed especially). The females can produce clones so you only need 1 to reproduce.
Ramshorns can also be cool, but also have the potential to breed like mad, if that worries you. And I doubt you would be able to find and destroy all the egg sacs laid.

I love snails! I have MTS, Ramshorns, and my fav, the Mystery snails! I also have some unwanted pond snail hitchhiker babies who I have been smooshing when I find them on the glass.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #7 
Joelouisvachon

One or two mystery snails sounds good. I want the eggs to be easy to remove. I've also seen some photos of Malaysian Trumpet Snails, I like the shell. I had one of those once, in a goldfish tank. The snail was gone in a week. I doubt I'd have that problem with Charry, though.