Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #1 
jayr232

All kinds of ways to make a betta FLARE

So yea list everything you know how to make a betta flare since some of us (like me) has a very peaceful betta that doesnt flare.. ( mine wont flare even though another male betta is present LMAO) just list everything you know and ill try everything that might do the trick to make him flare. -sighs- too bad because he is black lace delta and i want to see him flare
jayr232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #2 
Laki

Some bettas don't want to flare up. The heavier finned ones are already pretty weighted down with fins, to add to that, depending on where you got him he might have been super grown and kept in a small environment for sale and never developed the muscle/ strength to flare regularly.

So aside from showing him a mirror or another male betta you could exercise him by making him chase his food. If you can get frozen bloodworms or something similar, put them in a small syringe and make him chase the syringe for a treat. This will encourage him to use his fins and swim stronger. It might encourage him to flare eventually.

Just a side question, he's a delta.. So is the water warmed with a heater? And is there any current in the tank from a filter?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #3 
jayr232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Some bettas don't want to flare up. The heavier finned ones are already pretty weighted down with fins, to add to that, depending on where you got him he might have been super grown and kept in a small environment for sale and never developed the muscle/ strength to flare regularly.

So aside from showing him a mirror or another male betta you could exercise him by making him chase his food. If you can get frozen bloodworms or something similar, put them in a small syringe and make him chase the syringe for a treat. This will encourage him to use his fins and swim stronger. It might encourage him to flare eventually.

Just a side question, he's a delta.. So is the water warmed with a heater? And is there any current in the tank from a filter?
he is in a 2.5g tank. and its heated and the filter is set to the lowest settings so there is no strong currents... he is in a community tank when i bought him and not in a cup
Old 10-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #4 
JennNP

Mine tends to flare when I use a bic pen with a black cap. I point the cap towards him and he flares..doesn't flare at much else.
JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #5 
jayr232

For the first time my black lace has finally flared!!! I was jumping up and down when he flared xD

He started flaring when i put my DTPK near him... dunno why he started flaring all of a sudden but i hope he keeps flaring in the future xD
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #6 
ilykadothechacha

I have one that won't flare. I put a big mirror up to him and he just stares at it then swims away.
My other two flare when I have the mirror and my EE, Sassy Pants, will continue to flare at me for a while even after I put the mirror away. Lol. Hence his name.
ilykadothechacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #7 
kjnewcome

I have a divided 5g tank on my kitchen counter. Calcifer and Elvis live there, Calcifer will flare at everything from a roll of paper towels to a loaf of bread. Elvis only flares at my camera. lol! I have a couple others who will not flare at anything, no matter what. Leroy will only flare at bright colors. They are so funny.
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #8 
Soph7244

I have a baby betta who flared for me once about a month ago. (hes almost 5 months) Now whenever I put the mirror up to him, he just swims away. Di have a problem? des he need the exercise to be strong? (sorry to steal thread)
Soph7244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #9 
UniqueBettas

my bettas usually flare when I put a mirror near them or when I hold up a finger when i'm talking to someone on the phone.
UniqueBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #10 
FirstBetta

Doesn't flare

I've had Yankee for about 6 months. He has never flared. Tried magnified makeup mirror, nothing. If I point my finger at him when he is close to the glass he just stares for a second or two and then darts away. He patrols his 5.5G home almost constantly. Just laid back, I guess.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote